Free Windows 7

Reaction score
Back in June I preordered my copy of Windows 7 from Best Buy. I just started college last week, and I was at the college today and I was told by one of the instructors that another instructor had some kinda deal with Microsoft(Probably a subscription) and was burning copies of Windows 7 and giving them to students for free. I don't know if it's legal or not, but if it is, then I'm going to be a little ticked that i'm paying for something that I could have for free. Yes this is the RTM. I also heard he either has cheap or free MS Office. He must have either a subscription or education deal or something. Just thought I'd share. Anyone have any insight as to Microsoft's subscriptions or any of their offerings to instructors? I thought it was Kinda strange when I heard that I would be able to get it free.

Reaction score
Education deals drop the price down to $30 for students. There is no deal that makes Windows 7 free.

Reaction score
Back in June I preordered my copy of Windows 7 from Best Buy. I just started college last week, and I was at the college today and I was told by one of the instructors that another instructor had some kinda deal with Microsoft(Probably a subscription) and was burning copies of Windows 7 and giving them to students for free. I don't know if it's legal or not, but if it is, then I'm going to be a little ticked that i'm paying for something that I could have for free. Yes this is the RTM. I also heard he either has cheap or free MS Office. He must have either a subscription or education deal or something. Just thought I'd share. Anyone have any insight as to Microsoft's subscriptions or any of their offerings to instructors? I thought it was Kinda strange when I heard that I would be able to get it free.
I am thinking that your teach payed for a OEM and is covering his students copy so that you will be on top of the curve instead of struggling to make the curve. Miscrosoft probley cut him a deal and he got it prior to actual realese due to some program that is a teacher axcess thing.... but 30$ a kid isnt that much for his students concidering there probley is also a slush fund aviable through your school for it funds each class he probley opted ot get you guys the free copies rather then upgrade this or that for the seimester...

Me i didnt get it for I applied to host a W7 launch party so nwo I get a signature copy of W7 ulitmate!!!

but if any one knows what a signature copy is and can explain it to me would be lovley ....

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
You'd have to ask that instructor, because not even MSDN copies can be legally given out like that. Unless thedrunk is right and the school is actually paying for these copies, I don't see how they could be legit.

If you are a student you can get Windows 7 for $30, and Office 2007 Ultimate for $60, but those are the best deals MS provides, or at least has made public.

Reaction score
You'd have to ask that instructor, because not even MSDN copies can be legally given out like that. Unless thedrunk is right and the school is actually paying for these copies, I don't see how they could be legit.

If you are a student you can get Windows 7 for $30, and Office 2007 Ultimate for $60, but those are the best deals MS provides, or at least has made public.
I would like to know what school he goes to if it is a major university they have budgets of over 100k per class to do upgrades in software/hardware per seimester so I can see a teacher spending a portion of his budget for a OS that is better then vista ......

Reaction score
Our school has a license with MSDNAA. Students can download software for free including Windows 7 Professional.

ELMS for MSDNAA Software Center: This message has been generated
automatically from your ELMS. Please do not reply to this message
as you will not receive a response. Please click on the SUPPORT
link in your MSDNAA Online Software System for support contact
information on your campus.

Hello,

Welcome! You have been registered in your university/college ELMS
for MSDNAA online software system. Here you can download and
access a wide range of Microsoft developer tools, servers, and
platforms. There is no charge to download the software as long
as you are an eligible user in the System.

How Does it Work?

Your university/college is licensed under the MSDN Academic
Alliance Program which enables eligible students and faculty
members to access software available under the Program. e-academy
Inc., a partner of Microsoft, is providing ELMS for MSDNAA to you.
Simply log into the System using your username and password
included below and start browsing/ordering the software
available to you.

Your MSDNAA Online Software System can be found at:
(I removed the link)
http://msdn06.e-academy.com/grfft_cis

Reaction score
Our school has a license with MSDNAA. Students can download software for free including Windows 7 Professional.

ELMS for MSDNAA Software Center: This message has been generated
automatically from your ELMS. Please do not reply to this message
as you will not receive a response. Please click on the SUPPORT
link in your MSDNAA Online Software System for support contact
information on your campus.

Hello,

Welcome! You have been registered in your university/college ELMS
for MSDNAA online software system. Here you can download and
access a wide range of Microsoft developer tools, servers, and
platforms. There is no charge to download the software as long
as you are an eligible user in the System.

How Does it Work?

Your university/college is licensed under the MSDN Academic
Alliance Program which enables eligible students and faculty
members to access software available under the Program. e-academy
Inc., a partner of Microsoft, is providing ELMS for MSDNAA to you.
Simply log into the System using your username and password
included below and start browsing/ordering the software
available to you.

Your MSDNAA Online Software System can be found at:
(I removed the link)
Yea that is what I figured.....

I get office 2007 for free from devry basically same thing

Ask a Question