Foxit 4.0

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on this great application Veedaz

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz! This is a great little app for sure!

Much smaller footprint than the Adobe Acrobat Reader and less of a resource hog.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Veedaz, time for me to update!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"The setup process has grown more cumbersome. It will automatically check you into the Foxit license agreement, and you are also opted-in to install the Foxit Search Bar that changes your default search provider to Ask and makes Ask.com your home page. It also opts you into the Foxit add-on for Firefox, and into creating desktop, quick launch, and Start menu icons that link to eBay. Also, in our tests, it commandeered the default PDF reader setting even though we unchecked that box."

... With installation benefits like these, I believe I'll pass :mad:

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning TM - I hate programs that assume you want everything and never ask you or ignore your request for special configuration. I have been thinking about trying Foxit. I don't believe I will now.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
In the setup process there are boxes that you can tick / untick if you don't want your search provider to be Ask also for Ask.com to be your home page as for the tool bar its an install and can be uninstalled ... I only have Foxit Reader installed.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning TM - I hate programs that assume you want everything and never ask you or ignore your request for special configuration. I have been thinking about trying Foxit. I don't believe I will now.
I noticed those options about a month or so ago, when I was looking to ditch Adobe altogether. That made me back off, too. Every program there is, is always trying to cram something down our throats, especially the "free" ones.

I'd rather pay for an app that I need, in most cases, no extra crap is forced on you. I don't have a 32 inch monitor to view with, so I can actually have a 22 inch one after the toolbars are in place.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I like and still use Foxit but, yes, was a bit ticked when I wanted to upgrade the product and all of a sudden you have selections to untick and pay attention to so that your not riddled with stuff you don't want.

And actually, I've been seeing more and more free programs now placing that *blippity-blank* Ask toolbar in their install menus...grrr. >=(

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that many freeware applications seem to be adding on, one of my and many others favourite CCleaner offers Yahoo Tool bar but it seems to to something we have to put up with ... unticking / uninstalling what we don't wont :rolleyes:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't remember what it was that I was installing recently... Maybe Divx Pro. At any rate, it offered to install Google Chrome or a toolbar or some junk that like. I wanted to install a codec and associated tools...not a browser! I know where to go to get a browser, thank you, mister helper! I know you can uncheck those boxes, but I would much rather they were unchecked by default, which hardly ever seems to be the case.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hum... The idiots who make do this probably don't know how to do it. It's just there to look professional...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well having to uncheck boxes to avoid installing toolbars in freeware isn't really new, just a change for this product apparently but having it ignore your settings if you do uncheck them is a huge problem ("Also, in our tests, it commandeered the default PDF reader setting even though we unchecked that box").

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It would make more sense to me if the offered side dishes were commercial trials. What's in it for them for offering a free browser, I wonder?

Reaction score
I despise any browser toolbar more than I like any one application. I don't install anything with the intent of turning around and having to remove crap I don't want. To be honest I don't trust the uninstall process either. The uninstall always seems to be leaving thing behind that can contribute to a slow PC.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Hey c_c

I thought CCleaner would take care of that. Am I wrong?

Reaction score
CCleaner will do a good job at cleaning the most common areas.

There is no way one program can clean the leftovers from applications that has been uninstalled. This would be one extensive list of files/folders and a major undertaking keeping track of all the applications and their updates.

If the uninstall process doesn't clean itself completely, then you are pretty much stuck with the trash. You can however search the registry and folders for the remnants, however that would be unwise and could do more damage than simply living with the trash that was left. This is why I try not to install anything that I do not want in the first place.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Several of the free apps also are doing the: Ask.Com toolbar which worse than the Yahoo toolbar.

For me, it's a little bit of a pain in the patootie, but one must remember to just click "Next" slowly and un-check all those boxes.

If the developer of the freeware gets a little spif for that it's all right with me.