Fixing an auto-correct problem: "e//" to "é"

Reaction score
[I put this on alt.windows7.general but thought this might also be a good place to ask. Sorry about the "cross-posting" but I'm getting a little desperate for a solution....]

OK, this has been bugging me for a while, so I just gotta bite the geek bullet and ASK:

My usual online persona, going back to the days of CompuServe forums (how old does that make me?), include a signature like "//Steve//" at the end of most messages. Same for emails.

Unfortunately, for some reason, everything in Windows -- from IE to Word to whatever else you can name -- seems to want to convert the last three keystrokes to a é character. I'm not even sure of the NAME of the character, much less how to turn this off.

I can get the desired results by typing a space between the "e" and the two backslashes, then coming back and removing the space, but if I just type the three keystrokes in sequence the auto-correction kicks in.

I've searched everywhere I can to try to find a solution, but have so far come up dry. It's not specific to the Office 2007 auto-correct, as far as I can tell, since it's happening in other non-Office applications as well. So if anyone here knows what the heck I can do to change this back the way it's supposed to be, I'm all ears...!

Thanks in advance.

//Steve//

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Have you looked at your Region and Language settings (from the Control Panel)? On my system, I have my Formats and Location as United States. In the Keyboards and Languages, Click the Change Keyboards and see if more than one language is listed.

Reaction score
Thanks for the fast reply. Checked it, found two "keyboards" -- one US and one "Ink Correction" which I presume is something for Tablet PCs. I deleted the latter one but no effect on the auto-correct problem. //S//

Ask a Question