First track of ripped CDs (in .WAV format) does not display track info (in Windows Ex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a strange problem. I ripped my personal CD collection to .WAV as I have the space and thought it was best quality. I used WMP.

Everything ripped fine... for a while, the first song of each album kept 'losing' its track information. I would use the Find Album Info feature of WMP to fix this. Track info currently displays perfect in Windows Media Player Library or when browing using Windows Media Center.

However, if I view the files in Windows Explorer, or use another program like Winamp to play the files (which i generally prefer), the first track of all my ripped CDs in WAV format has no track information, Unknown Album, title, etc... even tho' it displays fine in WMP Library.

I cannot EDIT the track in Windows Explorer, and I can't find a track editor freeware that supports .WAV.

Why? Do I need to re-rip everything in .MP3? Bizarre! This also ruins my ability to copy the files to my phone, as the first track is missing information on copy/conversion.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Stay away from using WMP to rip with, it's not that great or configurable.

I highly recommend using AIMP media player. It's a great player and all I use for audio files. I use the FLAC format as it is lossless, yet a compressed file.

For a link to see how to rip with it, go to: How to Rip CD with AIMP

I use version 2 of AIMP player,
  • Multiformat Playback:
    .CDA, .AAC, .AC3, .APE, .DTS, .FLAC, .IT, .MIDI, .MO3, .MOD, .M4A, .M4B, .MP1, .MP2, .MP3,
    .MPC, .MTM, .OFR, .OGG, .RMI, .S3M, .SPX, .TAK, .TTA, .UMX, .WAV, .WMA, .WV, .XM
  • Output supports
    DirectSound / ASIO / WASAPI
  • 18-band equalizer and built-in sound effects
    Reverb, Flanger, Chorus, Pitch, Tempo, Echo, Speed, Bass, Enhancer, Voice Remover
  • 32-bit audio processing
    For the best quality!
  • Work with multiple playlists
    While one plays - you work with another
  • Great functionality and user-friendly interface
  • Creating bookmarks and playback queue
  • CUE Sheets supports
  • Support for plugins
    You can add new utils or extend already existing
  • LastFM Scrobbler
  • Multi-user mode support
    Are several users working with one computer? This is no problem!
  • Multilanguage interface
  • Hotkeys
    Configure local and global hotkeys as you wish!
  • Files search
    Search files on all opened playlists
  • Flexible programm options
Go here to download AIMP 2 plus it is FREE!
AIMP v2.61 Build 583

The page is in Russian, but there's an ENG button at the top right so you can read it in English.

Reaction score
thx for reply. so you're saying I should re-rip my CDs using something other than WMP? Its still a mystery why the first songs are tagged correct in WMP/WMC but not in any other program or Windows Explorer.

I suppose i could download the program you suggested and re-rip with it.

Reaction score
What I've done is just delete the album and re-rip them from my CDs and then set the files to read-only, so hopefully they won't be updated. The re-ripped files all display track information correctly, altho' i understand that .WAV doesn't handle track info very well from doing some brief research on the Internet but... i want to use WMC full screen to browse my CDs by remote control, so its .WAV for me. Still if anyone could explain why this happened...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As for the mystery, WMP maintains it's own file information under your USER directory in AppData\Local|Microsoft\Media Player so when you told it to find album info it likely only updated there. The other tracks that do have info in your other player likely have wave id3v2 info embedded in the RIFF chunk of the wav file.

But as for how to change it, I've never added tag info to wav files. Back when I used wav files I don't think it was possible and now I use mp3 so they are smaller to fit on my mp3 player.

Reaction score
Well, Trainable, I ripped to .WAV for my home computer for good sound, because i have the space. I have a Sony Ericsson phone for my portable player and Sony's software automatically converts the .WAVs to .MP3 for me for the phone.

.WAV is preferable over .MP3 for albums where the tracks fade into each other, e.g., The Moody Blues, .WAV tracks play seamlessly after each other; with MP3 I always notice a lag between tracks which ruins the continuity of the whole album.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
After ripping a CD, I use Goldwave to trim the extra silence off the beginning and end of songs (and then MP3Gain to normalize) so I don't really a notice a delay. And I don't have really good speakers so I also don't notice the loss of quality, so mp3s work fine for me but some people prefer lossless codecs like wav or flac.

So whatever works best for you. I just don't have any experience adding tag info to wav files.

Reaction score
It's because of slow speed in detecting the CD info

I have this same problem and it's a bug in WMP11 in my opinion. WMP11 will start to rip track 1, even if it can't 'yet' find the album information. A few seconds or tens of seconds later, it discovers and updates the info for track 2 through the end. However, it's too stupid to realize that it took a guess at Track 1 and does not rename or retag the information.

I have to hit "Stop Rip" immediately after inserting a disc, waiting until the info populates (or I force-find the information), then restart the rip.

To correct my problems prior to discovering my wait-and-wait solution, I found that "Stamp ID3 Tag Editor" works well with .wav files and few other systems do. It's a tedious process to correct "Track 1" and I'm sorry I used WMP for the 1000+ CDs that I archived in .wav format - but that was a HUGE investment in time and it's faster to just re-tag track 1 on those CDs where I didn't use my waiting technique.

I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question