Firefox/Roadmap - Firefox in 2010

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

DRAFT This page is not complete.

After Firefox 3.6 ships in January, the Firefox team has identified the following features to ship in Firefox in 2010 (not a comprehensive list, but the major user-facing focus points):

• Multi-process plugins (Flash crashes/instability don't bring down the browser)
  • Transition to jetpack extensions
  • New UI stuff: new Windows menu structure, platform integration
  • Weave
  • Updater v2.0: updates which don't interrupt the user
  • More responsive UI (async I/O)
  • Better startup time
  • Integrated Developer Tools

There are two major release vehicles available for these features: a stability release in Q1, and a major feature release which will preview in June/July and ship later in the year.

In order that out of process plugins can get widespread testing while not disrupting our ability to ship regular security updates, a special project branch will track mozilla-1.9.2: weekly betas with multi-process plugins will allow for quick iteration and widespread testing.

Alternate Proposal: Firefox 3.7
In this alternate proposal, there is an intermediate release (Firefox 3.7) in June 2010 which is intended to be an unprompted (minor) update to Firefox 3.6. The purpose of this release is to ship web-facing features which are being prepared on mozilla-central, but are not good candidates for being backported to 1.9.2:

• D3D rendering on Windows
  • multi-process tab rendering for Fennec, but not Firefox
  • low-level debugger support
  • SMIL
  • CSS transitions
  • CSS calc
  • WebGL
  • HTML5 parser?
  • Layers?
  • See also User:Dbaron/1.9.3_Alpha

Alpha1: ASAP Branch+Beta: 25-Feb (no later than 4-March) Final: 23-June
Details: 1.9.2 branched on 2009/08/13. Up through Feb 25 that's 6.5 months. At 6 weeks stabilization per three months development, that's 13 weeks of stabilization, or about 3 months. That puts stabilization as done at late May if the branchpoint is Feb 25. A few weeks for slack, and we get our late-June final.

The tradeoff of this release would be that web features would get to users sooner, while the proposed UI features would be delayed until later in 2010.

SOURCE

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
FF has came a long way in the last year and a half. The first time I used it, it was a true RAM hog. But you could see the potential. Late last spring, when 3.5RC was released, I tried it again, and except for one week recently, it has been my default browser. It has served me well, it's customized to MY taste, and I'll stick with it, unless something bad happens. Currently, I'm running 3.6.4 Beta. I actually run most of the betas as they become available as my default browser. I have an account with Mozilla, and report bugs when they occur. But lately, there hasn't been any to report. I look forward to FF 4.0.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Improved startup time would be a nice bonus, it takes quite a while to load on my machine at the moment (in comparison to IE and Chrome). I'm surprised at how fast FF is progressing :)

FF4 and IE9 should make things interesting, but "full" HTML5 seems a long way off. There are some simple attributes which aren't supported in some browsers, but work fine in others (such as a method of nice CSS rounded corners in IE8). For any coding geeks, there's a table on currently supported elements at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_layout_engines_(HTML5)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Firefox on my machine works fairly fast. Need to tweak it just a little though.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Firefox on my machine works fairly fast. Need to tweak it just a little though.
Does on mine, too. I've had no browser load and work as fast as the FF versions from 3.5RC to this date. Completely satisfied. IE, unless they do some major changes to make it better, more user friendly, and have access to more add ons, will soon find themselves in a major power struggle. As I've said before, Microsoft needs to transfer some of the employees that created Windows 7 to the IE department short term, and teach them how to do things the right way. IE is not at a total loss, but some fresh minds needs to be in there to reconstruct it, from the ground up.

Reaction score
i have heard of memory leak problems in FF and will be looking forward to devs to remove it in upcoming releases.

Reaction score
When people say something loads 'slow', what sort of times are we talking about? This can be a general question as much as relating to FF. In my expereince FF from clicking the launch icon to having the full page loaded is about 2 secs, maximum 3..

If things were taking over 5 secs then I'd be calling them slow.

Reaction score
FF has came a long way in the last year and a half. The first time I used it, it was a true RAM hog. But you could see the potential. Late last spring, when 3.5RC was released, I tried it again, and except for one week recently, it has been my default browser. It has served me well, it's customized to MY taste, and I'll stick with it, unless something bad happens. Currently, I'm running 3.6.4 Beta. I actually run most of the betas as they become available as my default browser. I have an account with Mozilla, and report bugs when they occur. But lately, there hasn't been any to report. I look forward to FF 4.0.
I read it somewhere that it was Office 2007 team which was transferred to windows 7 for the development. They moved the person who was heading windows vista team to somewhere else..

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It takes about 8 seconds from clicking the FF icon to loading the homepage for me - whereas IE8 is closer to 2 seconds. I tried this on a clean boot, just so there wasn't the usual cache.

Perhaps it's something peculiar to my setup that causes slow loading. I can see the Kaspersky icon going a little mad while FF loads, so it seems to be scanning it pretty heavily which I'm sure is a major factor.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Very well written! :D

An x64 version of FF4 will be most welcome! I'm very pleased about the D2D acceleration, as this should be a big boost to rendering complex pages as well as giving slower PC's a bit of a boost when displaying CSS heavy sites. My little laptop can choke when scrolling some pages - especially ones where vBulletin 4 is used (large CSS "tables" I guess).

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Firefox 3.6.4 is still pretty slow to startup, on laptops and notebooks I tried it on. I think, and this is MY opinion, that it is more adapted to desktop PCs which have more power.

I have to say I find the screen a bit crowded with the big round button, the "awsome" bar and all the other menus and buttons. And, I miss the "run" you get in IE; there is only "Save file" in FF.

Can't wait for FF4!

Cheers,
Fire Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
On my installs, all six of them, FF 3.6.4 (beta?) fires up faster than IE does. They are on a warpath to overtake IE as the #1 browser, and the usage figures suggests that. Some says that Chrome has thrown a monkeywrench into their quest, but I don't think so. Chrome is way down the list, somewhere close, or barely edging out Safari & Opera. Kind of like a flea on a dog's back, they (FF) will shake Chrome off their backs and continue their march forward. IE's only hope lies upon the success of IE9, they appear as they are working on turning things around, but it may be too little, too late. Many IE defectors will never return, as they have adapted to other browsers, like FF, which gives you CHOICE as to what you want in your browser.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes...
Also, Microsoft is now trying to get people to install an update that is a "Browser Choice". It consists of a small annoying thing that asks you which browser you would like to use side by side with IE, forcing you to choose from there.

"Ballot Screen" I think. You can't uninstall the update.

Luckily, I was warned, and I hid the update.

Cheers,
Fire Cat

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Yes...
Also, Microsoft is now trying to get people to install an update that is a "Browser Choice". It consists of a small annoying thing that asks you which browser you would like to use side by side with IE, forcing you to choose from there.

"Ballot Screen" I think. You can't uninstall the update.

Luckily, I was warned, and I hid the update.

Cheers,
Fire Cat
FC - I believe that option was only enabled for Windows users in Europe. Here in the States and elsewhere we don't even see it.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
FC - I believe that option was only enabled for Windows users in Europe. Here in the States and elsewhere we don't even see it.
Maybe it is only in Europe.
I can't tell, seeing as the only computers I have seen are in Europe. If it is only in Europe, well then you guys in the States are lucky. It really is a pain.

Reaction score
Yes, it is only a European thing. It was done to put Microsoft in compliance with rulings made by the EU's competition ministry.

Ask a Question