Firefox 3.6.9

Reaction score
According to the Firefox twitter page Firefox 3.6.9 will be released very soon, although they're still pushing for most end users to download version 4 beta.

Ever since the plugins container was introduced in version 3.6.7, there has been a major performance slowdown reported by many, even on newer systems. There is a way to disable the plugins container, but even after doing so, it still doesn't make much of a difference in overall performance.

Sad to say that it appears Firefox has hit a wall with their browser. If they do not improve stability, load speed, plus memory usage soon, and spend less time creating cosmetic enhancements like personas, they could lose a lot of their following to Google Chrome, even though I would rather force myself to get used to IE 8 again, than use any product that has Google's name attached to it.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The good thing is, on File Hippo's site, you can download the earlier versions that worked well for you. The betas keep on coming for Firefox 4.0, I believe that they're at their fourth release of it now.

I've tried to use it, but having some problems finding the features, such as checking for updates, some of my add ons doesn't work still, etc. If for whatever reason that I can't find FF comfortable to use, I'm already playing with Opera. I'll never install Google Chrome, no matter what. I installed their opt out plug ins yesterday.

Seamonkey is a decent browser, too. It's also produced by Mozilla, a very lightweight (mabye too much so) browser. There are many options.

What I don't understand in the first place is Firefox made their name on what you see today. They are very successful, I just don't understand the eye candy approach that they're taking. When you're in a strong second place and gaining, you don't change the look & feel of your product, I don't care what it is. You change when you're on a downslide, not when gaining momentum.

I can see the new features, but FF needs no facelift at this time.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have had no issues with Firefox 3.6.8 and I don't believe there will be any with future updates or upgrades. Mozilla is not going to shoot themselves in the foot regarding the most popular browser in use today.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
3.6.9 works great on Linux and solved some bugs I was experiencing. Looking forward to its Windows release.

I haven't bothered with the v4 beta since I didn't want to deal with broken add-ons. I have heard tell that it might look more similar to Chrome, which is a welcome change if it's true. Chrome has a modern interface; Firefox 3 is too XP'ish.

Reaction score
The good thing is, on File Hippo's site, you can download the earlier versions that worked well for you. The betas keep on coming for Firefox 4.0, I believe that they're at their fourth release of it now.

I've tried to use it, but having some problems finding the features, such as checking for updates, some of my add ons doesn't work still, etc. If for whatever reason that I can't find FF comfortable to use, I'm already playing with Opera. I'll never install Google Chrome, no matter what. I installed their opt out plug ins yesterday.

Seamonkey is a decent browser, too. It's also produced by Mozilla, a very lightweight (mabye too much so) browser. There are many options.

What I don't understand in the first place is Firefox made their name on what you see today. They are very successful, I just don't understand the eye candy approach that they're taking. When you're in a strong second place and gaining, you don't change the look & feel of your product, I don't care what it is. You change when you're on a downslide, not when gaining momentum.

I can see the new features, but FF needs no facelift at this time.

Cat
Hi Cat,

First .. I hope that you've been feeling better!

I do not feel comfortable using any of the FF betas that are currently available. Not just due to inherent addons incompatibilities, but browser bugginess in general.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on the Firefox eye candy comment. Seems that Mozilla is trying to morph their Firefox browser into a cosmetically enhanced treat for whatever they define as average users, or those who feel it is necessary to have a "pretty" GUI to stare at while they are watching Youtube vids. This is indicative of what most of the internet has deteriorated into these days .. bloated programs that are high on visual appeal but low on stable functionality.

I've seen SeaMonkey, but it just looks like a bare bones version of Firefox. I might give Opera another go, as I haven't played around with it since version 8.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks etalmar, yes I'm getting better, and it's time I did. I'm starting to use my computer more, that's a good sign of improvement (for me).

Hopefully, FF won't make too many sweeping changes, and if they do, like I said, you can go to File Hippo, click to download FF, you'll see the older versions to choose from. But I wouldn't want to go back any further than 3.6.4. That's when the remote code execution problem was "fixed". This was of great concern for Linux users, who in general aren't accustomed to dealing with viruses and malware. It was a major threat to them, because FF ships with most Linux versions, just as IE does with Windows.

Yes, SeaMonkey is a bare bones version of FF, but I've ran it, and could easily adapt to it, if needed. Also Opera has come a long way since version 8, it's said that it's one of the fastest browsers on the planet.

Cat

Reaction score
Thanks Cat, for the heads up about the remote code execution issue in 3.6.4. Point taken. Will keep that in mind, although FF 3.6.6 is running great on my desktop, so I doubt that I would want to revert back to an older version.

I too am very familiar with File Hippo and use it to download not only older versions of Firefox, but also the current version of Malwarebytes and Adobe Flash Player. I don't know if you've also noticed that it seems to be much easier to upgrade Adobe Flash via File Hippo, than to attempt to do so through Adobe's site, which is a quagmire of hoops to jump through, just to get the damn update.

File Hippo has been one of my favorite download sites that I recommend to others. Major Geeks is a good downloads resource as well.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been a fan of File Hippo for quite some time, at least a couple of years. I have ran into Major Geeks a few times, when downloading software. They seem to be a safe site, and you usually get fast downloads through them.

Yes, you can get Flash, and updates to many softwares through File Hippo. Their update checker finds many of updates to your installed software, and even if they themselves don't have the updated version, they often provide the link for the upgrade. When you have a lot of software installed, as I do, I just don't have the time to check the at least 60 (perhaps more) installed apps that I have spread over 5 Windows OS's.

What I do to save time, if I have an update that other OS's are using, I move the install file to a USB thumb drive, making updating even faster.

I read a post above that said 3.6.9 was already released for Linux, but I've yet to see it. But updating Linux is a whole different world from updating Windows. However, using FF, including installing add ons, is the same.

Cat

Reaction score
It's faster than IE8 or Opera on my new computer

Firefox is faster on my newly built Windows 7 x64 computer than Opera 10.61, Internet Explorer and on alot of pages in Chrome beta 6.* . Until Chrome gets more addons, like NoScript, DownloadThemAll, Site Advisor, etc. ,I'll be sticking with Firefox as my number 1 browser. IE #2, Chrome #3 and Opera #4.
According to the Firefox twitter page Firefox 3.6.9 will be released very soon, although they're still pushing for most end users to download version 4 beta.

Ever since the plugins container was introduced in version 3.6.7, there has been a major performance slowdown reported by many, even on newer systems. There is a way to disable the plugins container, but even after doing so, it still doesn't make much of a difference in overall performance.

Sad to say that it appears Firefox has hit a wall with their browser. If they do not improve stability, load speed, plus memory usage soon, and spend less time creating cosmetic enhancements like personas, they could lose a lot of their following to Google Chrome, even though I would rather force myself to get used to IE 8 again, than use any product that has Google's name attached to it.

Reaction score
Firefox is faster on my newly built Windows 7 x64 computer than Opera 10.61, Internet Explorer and on alot of pages in Chrome beta 6.* . Until Chrome gets more addons, like NoScript, DownloadThemAll, Site Advisor, etc. ,I'll be sticking with Firefox as my number 1 browser. IE #2, Chrome #3 and Opera #4.
Hello brkkab,

I agree with you about Firefox, in that the number one reason I continue to use Firefox and put up with excessively high memory usage and other annoyances are the addons - especially AdBlockPlus, Flashblock, Greasemonkey, YesScript. All are excellent.

Insofar as my browser preference order, it would definitely be #1. Firefox (excluding beta 4 versions) #2. IE 8 and then #3. Opera. I would never use any Google browser, regardless of how good it is touted as being, as they are at the forefront of privacy intrusion. Google gets two thumbs down from me for always covertly eavesdropping on and archiving end user activities. Their recent arrangement with Verizon reflects their nefarious agenda, yet many people continue to use their products with little or no concern.

Here's a link to check out about Google: Google in bed with U.S. intelligence

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sppedup & Tweak all web browsers

I forget what it's called, but it keeps Chrome and Google Search from keeping history about your history of what you search or do Ah, itd called Google Analytics Opt-Out .Search for it and definitely install it. I heard about it from PC World a week or two ago. It also works in x64 Windows.I place Opera at #4, because all of the others are faster than Opera, even with Opera's speed up feature enabled it's still too slow. Firefox is much faster, IE8 is only slow at opening new tabs. Chrome isn't faster than Firefox 3.6.7, but it's close. It beats Opera hands down. It's all in how you tweak there settings in about:config. I've always liked tweaking settings to make things work how I want them to. Not how the manufacturer wants them to. Definitelt look at MaximumPC's websight scroll to atleast page 9 or past. www.maximumpc.com. They had a terrific article on Speeding up IE 8, Firefox, Opera and Chrome. This article included tweaks, must have addons and changes to about:config in Firefox, Opera, etc. A definite must read.
Hello brkkab,

.I agree with you about Firefox, in that the number one reason I continue to use Firefox and put up with excessively high memory usage and other annoyances are the addons - especially AdBlockPlus, Flashblock, Greasemonkey, YesScript. All are excellent.

Insofar as my browser preference order, it would definitely be #1. Firefox (excluding beta 4 versions) #2. IE 8 and then #3. Opera. I would never use any Google browser, regardless of how good it is touted as being, as they are at the forefront of privacy intrusion. Google gets two thumbs down from me for always covertly eavesdropping on and archiving end user activities. Their recent arrangement with Verizon reflects their nefarious agenda, yet many people continue to use their products with little to no concern.

Here's a link to check out about Google: Google in bed with U.S. intelligence

Reaction score
That's it

Thats it. It still works on the newer versions of the Firefox, Chrome and Opera.P.s. Firefox 3.6.9 is now available. I downloaded it after my last post to you. Just click Help then click Search for Updates. Chrome 6 Beta also has a update available today. Click the wrench on top right, then About Chrome and give it a second or two to search. Then click download. After it installs close Chrome and reopen it.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thats it. It still works on the newer versions of the Firefox, Chrome and Opera.P.s. Firefox 3.6.9 is now available. I downloaded it after my last post to you. Just click Help then click Search for Updates. Chrome 6 Beta also has a update available today. Click the wrench on top right, then About Chrome and give it a second or two to search. Then click download. After it installs close Chrome and reopen it.
Thanks, just updated FF.

Reaction score
I've enclosed some articles I've got for Firefox tweaks

Here are some varios articles I've got for Firefox tweaks that may help you. They cover addons, about:connfig tweaks, etc. Whenever I find read any articles on the web I copy them paste them into Word and save them. This works great. Works with OpenOffice, AbiWord, WordPerfect, etc.
Thanks, just updated FF These were created with Word 2007. If you don't have Word 2007 search Microsoft Download Center for the Word 2007 viewer..

Attachments

Reaction score
I forget what it's called, but it keeps Chrome and Google Search from keeping history about your history of what you search or do Ah, its called Google Analytics Opt-Out .Search for it and definitely install it.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I have come across that addon before and the problem I have with it is that Google is offering an opt-out addon to supposedly block their own data gathering analytics service! Obviously I cannot provide proof, but given the nature of their business, I am thinking that there could be some sort of backdoor access code embedded in their opt-out addon, which would still allow them to collect data, while giving you the impression that you are now exempt from their service.

Call me paranoid, but I do not trust using an addon created by the very company that I am trying to prevent from collecting personal data about my online activities in the first place!

There are other ways to block Google Analytics besides installing their opt-out addon. You can create specific blocking rules in AdBlockPlus, use Greasemonkey scripts that were created to block Google Analytics, or block the list of Google servers via your Hosts file. I would much rather continue to use those options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree with you

I agree with you there. I'll never use there browser instead of Firefox until they have these addons BetterPrivacy, NoScriot, AdblockPlus and support for AI Roboform (they on have support for the online version), SiteAdvisor, BrowserDefender and the toolbar for Norton Internet Security. Plus, I use DownThemAll numerous times daily. Chrome doesn't have an equivalent for that either. Nor does it spport AdMuncher, which blocks Ads in IE, Firefox and Opera. Where there was an add it says Munched instead. How'd you like them articles I zipped to you. If I'm not mistakken those settings all stay in place after Firefox updates. That's a huge plus. P.s> IE Tab 2 is available for 3.5 and up now for pages that need IE in Firefox. It works exactly like the old IETab.
Thank you for the suggestion, but I have come across that addon before and the problem I have with it is that Google is offering an opt-out addon to supposedly block their own data gathering analytics service! Obviously I cannot provide proof, but given the nature of their business, I am thinking that there could be some sort of backdoor access code embedded in their opt-out addon, which would still allow them to collect data, while giving you the impression that you are now exempt from their service.

Call me paranoid, but I do not trust using an addon created by the very company that I am trying to prevent from collecting personal data about my online activities in the first place!

There are other ways to block Google Analytics besides installing their opt-out addon. You can create specific blocking rules in AdBlockPlus, use Greasemonkey scripts that were created to block Google Analytics, or block the list of Google servers via your Hosts file. I would much rather continue to use those options.

Reaction score
P.s> IE Tab 2 is available for 3.5 and up now for pages that need IE in Firefox. It works exactly like the old IETab.
Maybe it's just my experience with it, but I noticed IE Tab seems to render IE pages a lot slower. CoaralIIETab doesn't seem to slow down at all though. Is that just the emulation causing it, or should I consider a reinstall of FF?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I know that accurate results would mean running more than one test. But running a quick Peacekeepers Browser Benchmark Test after installing 3.6.9 today gave me a significantly slower result (2542 pts.) than those I got from 3.6.1 to 3.6.6 (2799 - 2901 pts.). :(

Last edited:

Ask a Question