File Transfer to 64 bit

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but Can you transfer photos and files from a 32 bit to a 64 bit Computer? I've read where it presented a problem with Easy Transfer, but what about with just a flash drive?

I have a 32 bit Vista, and I'm planning to buy a new computer with Windows 7, but I have yet to settle the 32 vs 64 bit decision.

Reaction score
Flash drive will work just fine for transferring your files. An external Hard Drive would work as well if you have one.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but Can you transfer photos and files from a 32 bit to a 64 bit Computer?
Yep, there isn't any problem with compatibility for files like photos, documents etc... you can copy them to a flash drive and move them and you would never notice any difference. The Easy Transfer Wizard is a specific case where there is a problem moving between different bit versions... but I'm not really sure on the reason why there would be a technical limitation for this.

Reaction score
If you try to move the photos from x86 to x64 as part of a Windows Easy Transfer file, it will not work.

If you simply copy the photos to a flash drive and then paste them onto the hard drive, it will work fine.

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
We'll probably be forced to go with 64 bit at some future point or I wouldn't mess with it at all. I don't think 64 bit will do much for me, and right now I still have questions about drivers, and possible issues I'm not even aware of yet. I'd just hate to buy a new 64 bit computer and then discover new problems that I didn't want to deal with.

Thanks for explaining the transfer files, etc.

Reaction score
It's pretty improbable that you'd have many issues with x64. :) Maybe if you had very old hardware, but it should be pretty smooth.

Reaction score
Files from 32bit to 64bit

Hi!..... I run several Hard drives on the same computer with several operating sys. 32bit and 64bit and have no problems shifting files from one hard drive to another ..you can open and use the files from another program and update them or whatever..recomend you use NTFS for operating sys. but a shared Hard drive with files only either Fat 32 or NTFS will work OK:) Good luck.ronpeck

Ask a Question