FILE SHARING

Reaction score
For 3 computers to access each other’s files:

1. Does each one need a user account on each machine

2, do they need to join a homegroup

3, do they need to join a workgroup

4, any combination of the above necessary? If so, which ones.

5. Which is the best of the above

many thanks and regards.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
One of our valued members FireCat wrote up a good tutorial HERE. Please check it out and then post back if you have more questions.

If you do need to post back please indicate what OS and bit-size are installed on the 3 machines (W7-64, XP, Vista-32, etc).

Reaction score
WIN 7 64BIT installed on all 3 machines. Appreciate your tutorial but my confusion probably not explained well in my original question. If I use a networked work group do I also need to set up Users on all machines and also a Homegroup as well. Can I delete the Users (except mine, of course) and the Homegroup and still be okay with the Workgroup?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think I get it...

As long as all 3 computers are on the same network (connected to the same router), and if you follow my tutorial - to which Trainableman posted the link - it should work fine.

For your original post:
1. Yes and no; you obviously need an account to use the computers, but they don't need to be pasword protected.

2. No.
3. No.
4. No.
5. None - or rather, the tutorial I wrote up will give you a better way to share files between the computers, that will work on all OSes.

Reaction score
SHARING FILES

Hi: Thanks for that info. Bottom line is that there needs to be a network established obviating the need for a Homegroup. Your method is to place all files to be shared in a new "share" folder rather than mark each folder as shared.

This does answer my initial list of questions.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, the homegroup wouldn't work if the computers weren't on the same network - even if they were on a network ;)
Bottom line is: all computers need to be on the same network.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Jerry, It can be more than one folder, like maybe share all your music folder as well. If I did that though, then the music folder would be set up read only. And then I like one folder with full read/write access so I can put files over there.

The less folders you share though, the more secure you are and the less you have to remember, "oh better not put that in this folder or others can see it". Plus if the folder is named "Shared-..." you aren't likely to forget others can see it.

I don't currently have a network and when I did I wasn't W7 but in XP I did just like FC says with a single shared folder.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Since this is solved - a little off topic :D

It's Fire Cat! Not FireCat! 2 WORDS!

Oh, I'd just like to add that I have a link to my shared folder on my Desktop, so whenever I want to transfer a file to another computer, I can easily slip the file into the folder.
Just a little tip ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
SHARING FILES

Fire Cat's last response added some puzzlement. On Win 7, we have either a network with all the computers or a Homegroup with the same computers or both. The response indicated that the Homegroup could not operate without the Network.

Starting from the initial installation of Win 7, is threre not a choice of a Homegroup or a Network? I thought the Homegroup just made networking simpler and easier for beginners to set up.

My initial posting showed my questions and some doubt as to the best arrangement remains.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Indeed, the Homegroup couldn't work without the network.

What you need to understand is, that the network isn't a feature of Windows. The fact of having computers connected to each other or to a same router makes the network.

A homegroup then "runs" on the network.

Reaction score
SHARING FILES

Fire cat: If I replaced the word "network" with "Workgroup", would that explain my question better? I had set up a Workgroup in Win 7 (as in XP) and a Homegroup and wondered if both were required.

After some consideration, it occured to me that if I had established a Homegroup first, the Workgroup would not be necessary. If that is true, can I delete eiher one? Thanks for your patience.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If all the coputers are W7 as you state then I beleive the Homegroup is the easiest way to go. Once each machine is set up with the Homegroup password, then sharing any file or folder is easy. Just right click it and choose.

Attachments

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Fire cat: If I replaced the word "network" with "Workgroup", would that explain my question better? I had set up a Workgroup in Win 7 (as in XP) and a Homegroup and wondered if both were required.

After some consideration, it occured to me that if I had established a Homegroup first, the Workgroup would not be necessary. If that is true, can I delete eiher one? Thanks for your patience.
I dunno about that... Nearly all my computers have a different workgroup :S
I suppose it's used to give more administration ability, in schools, for example.

Eg: all computers on the network that are part of the "physics" workgroup get access to a special "physics" network drive.

Just guessing. Franckly, I really don't think you need it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SHARING FILES

I really appreciate all the responses but somehow most answers are not really direct. Let me try again.

I understand that a network is required for computers to share files. In Win 7, this can be done through a Workgroup or a Homegroup. Either one can do it but are both necessary? Can one be deleted as I have set up both.

Lastly, user accounts are set up so different people can use the same PC but are they required for file sharing with one of the above methods?

The shared files folder is a good idea but, again, one of the above is required but are both?:???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
user accounts are set up so different people can use the same PC but are they required for file sharing with one of the above methods?
User accounts strictly control access to the specific computer and to the non-shared data assigned to that userid on that particular computer. Any userid will be able to see all shared data on that computer and on the other two computers (if they are turned on); they do not need an account on the other machines.

I'm a little less sure on the first part, as homegroup is new to W7 and I have never used it, so I will defer to others for that info.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My mind must be blocked, Let me try one last time.

1. Does PC 1 need a user account on PC2 to share their files? or
2. Can PC1 use a Workgroup to share files on PC2? or
3. Can PC1 use a Homegroup to share files on PC2? or
4. Does PC1 need both 2 and 3 to share files on PC2?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
1. No. User accounts are strictly for controlling logon access to that particular machine and to the non-shared data area reserved for that userid (C:\Users\{userid})

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Let me answer as direct as possible. (I am sharing anything I want on 3 W7 computers.)

1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) No..1 or the other

Is your set-up in the home or a work environment?

Reaction score
You got right to the point; great. We have a home/office setup with 3 pc's. Much appreciated.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I bet I'm going to confuse you some more - but if you are in an office workplace, a server could be used :D

Or, a NAS. NAS = Network Attached Storage = A hard drive that's on the network
I use one, and it's great. You can store all the files - and access them - in one place, that doesn't require other computers to be on.

Ask a Question