File content order

Reaction score
Hi,
Is there a way to adjust my folders so the items inside are listed in my preferred order, rather than alphabetically?

Cheers :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not easily.

This registry tweak works, sort of. Basically it works if you are in the actual file folder but NOT when viewed through a Library. Under a library it gets sorted by the Arrange By setting.

Another method but still far from ideal is to use the tag field and you can simply number the items 1000, 1010, 1050, etc and then display Arranged By tag; But it requires a lot of work maintaining the tags.

This used to be simple in XP and removing it is one of the dumbest things Microsoft ever did to Windows Explorer. Another big blunder by Microsoft IMO was removing the ability to have Windows Explorer remember and reopen to the same folder that was open when WinExplorer closed or was shut down.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks MrMan, I look at this as a blunder also, alphabetical order is very limited. If your methods are only going to "sort of" work I will not worry, not worth the hassle but thanks all the same.

Ask a Question