Explorer.exe crash when right-clicking on program

Reaction score
first let me explain that this isn't the normal right-click crash thing this is very specific. exlorer.exe only crashes when i try to right-click on ANY exe or ANY shortcut to an EXE file.

everything else is fine else is perfectly fine. I can right click on anything else in the computer. It's ONLY exes.

i've done all the "fixes" to fix the right-click crashes and nothing has worked. This happend a couple times already and after a couple reboots it stopped. Now it's been going on for 4 reboots and nothing i can do seems to fix it.

I have practically nothing installed as i only installed 7 a week ago And it was working fine yesterday then today i install photoshop and it starts this.

I've done 2 system restores already and it hasn't changed anything.

I seriously need help with this problem now. Microsoft told me that it's my fault and that nothing can be causing this so i'm coming here, begging for help because i really don't feel like reinstalling windows again.

Reaction score
i hate to double post, but 20 views and no replies? no one has this issue or has any ideas. hell i'll take crazy remove system32 folder ideas at this point. with school and everything i really don't have time to reinstall 7 again.

Reaction score
Try disabling your anti-virus and all other programs that are loading at startup. Use msconfig to disable programs from loading at startup. If this helps you can enable them one at a time to see which is causing the troubles.

One thing that would be of interest is if this still occurs in safe mode.

Reaction score
Try disabling your anti-virus and all other programs that are loading at startup. Use msconfig to disable programs from loading at startup. If this helps you can enable them one at a time to see which is causing the troubles.

One thing that would be of interest is if this still occurs in safe mode.
all startup has been uninstalled and still happens.

and yup, happens in safe mode. though the window doesn't pop up saying that it crashed but the taskbar disappears and then the safe mode help window pops back up

Reaction score
18 hours and no one else? no one has any idea whats going on?

i'm gonna be at work for like the next 5 hours and hopefully someone can give me a way to fix this otherwise i'm just going to give up and reinstall 7 which thanks to the holiday tomorrow i could actually pull off and still have time to get my homework done.

I love how 7 is suppose to be better than vista but within 3 days i get a system destroying error and i never had any problems like that in vista.

Ask a Question