SOLVED Excel 2007 files

Reaction score
I am having difficulty opening my Excel 2007 files. I can not locate the comparable drive open files that was on Windows XP.

Reaction score
If you have Excel 2007 installed on Windows 7, you should have no trouble opening these files.

Reaction score
Ecel 2007 and Windows 7

Could you provide a dummies guide, i.e., step by step, to me, please?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I am having difficulty opening my Excel 2007 files. I can not locate the comparable drive open files that was on Windows XP.
More info is needed about your setup/computer, ie wheather you upgraded to W7 or clean installed, desktop or laptop etc.

The more we have the easier it will be to help you.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Excel 2007 and Windows 7

I am using a new laptop with Windows 7 installed. The Excel 2007 files are on a flashdrive.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Okay, so your new laptop came with Excel or MS Office installed? You can check in Start/Control Panel/ Programs and Features/. Let us know.

Reaction score
Hi ssilver - Welcome to w7forums

When did you install Office 2007 on your PC? If you havent installed Office please do so.

Did you add the appropriate file types during setup? Please check if the file types you are trying to open has been added to Excel.

Can you see your files stored on the USB drve using Explorer? If not there maybe a problem with Windows reading your drive.

PS - I'm sorry if these questions seem stupid. The more you tell us initially the less questions such as these you will receive. We need to know more and if we are not told, we will then be forced to blindly ask questions.

Reaction score
Office 2007 was not installed on the laptop, Windows 7 was. I installed Office afterwards. What exactly are you referring to as "appropriate file types"? I die all the required steps for installing the software. My referenced machine is at home so will check the drives on Explorer later.

Reaction score
If you installed Office 2007 on your PC, then open Office 2007, then use the file -> open menu to open the files.

I don't understand the complication.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Like Thrax says just point your file browser to the flash drive and click on your files. The flash drive should be near your optical drive in explorer.

Attachments

Reaction score
Excel 2007 and Windows 7

Thanks to everyone for their interest. I figured out the problem. You go to System Network and click onto the device icon containing the desired file, whereas in XP you went to Open and scrolled down through the operative drives.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you install Office 2007 in W7 the "New Office Document" & "Open Office Document" shortcuts are not installed by default. If you are used to opening documents this way you can go to
Start Menu \ Control Panel \ Programs and Features
Scroll down to Microsoft Office 2007 and right-click ... choose Change
In the new window choose Add or Remove Features
Expand "Office Shared Features"
Right-click on "New and Open Microsoft Office Document Shortcuts"
Select "Run from my computer"
Continue and Install and you should then have the shortcuts you are used to.

Yoda, I hope this saves your life :p

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
My, what a coincidence, my ears were burning!

If I was dealt a death blow every time I couldn't understand some computer jargon, "I'd a been kilt a long long time ago." :)

Thanks TM. I continue to use Open Office and it serves my needs as I don't create a whole lot of docs but it seems to handle most of the MS file types I get.

Good Day gentlemen.
It's good to be alive.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I personally deleted those shortcuts in XP because I am used to opening files just by clicking on them in Windows Explorer. But when somebody gets used to doing something a certain way it is nice when the old way is supported even if a newer way is offered by the manufacturer.

I don't know Office 2010 but if it is written anything like Win7 then when ssilver goes to upgrade to that, Microsoft will probably have deleted the shortcuts all together with their "this is how it's gonna be" mentality. Maybe then we'll all move to openoffice.org !!!

Ask a Question