EventID 55 and Volume Shadow Copy

Reaction score
I just reloaded Windows 7 Ultimate in Mid January 2011. I have two hard drives configured in hardware RAID 1 (Mirroring). On or about Feb 1, 2011, I began getting these errors in the System Event Logs under Event ID: 55, Source: Ntfs:

The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5. [Note: the Copy number (5 in this example) ranges from odd numbers 1 through 13]

I have run the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and it reports no problems with either disk in the Array. I've done quite a bit of searching, and have not uncovered a good solution other than recommendations to run chkdsk on the hard drive. I don't believe this applies to RAID 1 configurations, and I believe that Matrix Storage Manager has performed this function for the array.

In desperation, I tried to run chkdsk on "\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5", but the command reports that this is not a valid drive, path, or file.

I would appreciate any thoughts, hints, or advice on what is causing this error and how to correct it.

Ask a Question