Essential Software

Reaction score
Because many of us will be installing Windows 7 RC soon, it might be a good idea to have an essential software thread. Basically, the software that you think most of us should install to get the most out of Windows.

My list would include

• Foxit PDF Reader
  • Adobe Flash
  • Free Download Manager
  • Super Anti Spyware
  • VLC Media Player

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd agree with all of those :) Other ones on my list would be:
  • FireFox
  • FileZilla (if you use FTPs)
  • Microsoft Office / Open Office
  • CCleaner
  • WinRAR

Reaction score
I thought some people would be interested in condensing their installed list of programs by using some addons for Firefox:

Ian, you could trade FileZilla for FireFTP.
Spearace, you could trade Free DL Mgr. for DownThemAll!

As for me, my killer apps are:
Tweetdeck
Firefox
WinRAR
CCleaner
Media Player Classic-Home Cinema
FFDShow
Foxit PDF Reader
Winamp
Trillian
Adobe Flash
Adobe Air
Launchy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian, you could trade FileZilla for FireFTP.
Thanks - I've not heard of that before so I'll take a look at it :). I normally use FTP alongside dreamweaver when I'm modifying websites, so I don't know if I'd load FF as well - but I'll give it a go to see how it works.

Reaction score
Thanks - I've not heard of that before so I'll take a look at it :). I normally use FTP alongside dreamweaver when I'm modifying websites, so I don't know if I'd load FF as well - but I'll give it a go to see how it works.
If you want the best FTP experience, I would say that SmartFTP is the best.
One of the best features is choosing the amount of workers (for much faster file transfer).

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Blender 3D
Rocketdock
Switcher

Enough said.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another couple of suggestions which I've just been reminded about from another thread:
I also tried FireFTP as you suggested Thrax and I can see why you like it. The way it snaps in to a normal browsing tab is very handy! I can quickly preview sites and upload revisions just by switching tabs.

Ask a Question