e-mail security

Reaction score
All right, I've been persuaded to jump on the MS bandwagon again. However, I have questions concerning e-mail utilities. I gave up MSN and Hotmail 'cause they just got overloaded with crap. I now have four gmail accounts, one GMX account I use for recovery and one Live account I don't use.

So, pros and cons of e-mail programs. Should I go MS whole hog and return to MSN mail or am I fine with Google (though I have a bit of a hate thing going with them). The GMX seems really nice. What's best for a guy recovering from brain damage?

Reaction score
I can't even log into one o' my accounts right now. God, I hate these machines!

Reaction score
I got it figured out, but guys I'm really struggling here and now I've gone and saddled myself with a new browser. I'll never learn what I'm doing until I can get my basics set in. I'm constantly changing trying to find what's best.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The browser you use has nothing to do with what email you choose. You can use Chrome to browse hotmail or you can use IE to browse Google mail. There are also applications like Windows Live Mail or Outlook (Outlook is paid software) which do not require a browser at all.

Reaction score
Well, that really wasn't my question. Which e-mail client is best.I know that's subjective, but I'm interested in the facts concerning security for each of them. Ease of use, though a matter of opinion, would be useful as well.

Reaction score
No one has anything to say? I'm absolutely meticulous in everything I do and at the moment, it's crippling me. I spend way too much time fiddling with these damned machines, but I work hard at keeping them secure and clean (actually, I'm on my laptop; my HP is torn down).

Once I'm out of this damned place, I can start going about matters more methodically. I've downloaded davehc's simple customizations (took awhile to figure out how to open the .rar file) and I'm going to apply that after I'm set up again.

Point is, when I finally get to start over, I want to start right, so I'm trying to get things in place now, so I'm trying to order all my computer ducks so I'm not constantly chasing after something "better."

:cool:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use Hotmail, it includes AV scanners and junk mail filters but they still put stuff in my mailbox that was not even sent to my email address, it seems undeliverable mail sometimes is redirected. I have a 10-digit ID and sometimes as little as the first 3 letters match so they throw it in my mailbox.

Frankly if you want true email security you don't give out your email address, you don't join subscriptions to stuff online, and you create multiple accounts and keep track of what is given to where. You don't click on links in emails, you don't download exe's from emails, and anything you do download from an email you scan it with your AV before you ever display it. In fact if you don't know the person then you might look at the header record before you even open it and if you see it came from another country then you delete it without even opening it.

That is how you stay safe! You take an active role and you never assume some email provider will do it for you.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am a Live Mail user. It does attempt to take care of junk, but cannot possibly cope with all the unkown factors.
But, recently, I have been experimenting with keeping the mail on my ISPs facility (many will allow this) and accessing direct. It does incur a little more delay, but, if you are selective, almost eliminates the possibility of downloading a virus, and the spam can be left where it is for the ISP to delete after the elected period.

Reaction score
Windows live mail. All you need for your email HOWEVER I say that on the basis that I run my incomings through a program called Mailwasher first.
So unless I am very careless nothing bad will get opened in the full email program.

JMH

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Well, that really wasn't my question. Which e-mail client is best.I know that's subjective, but I'm interested in the facts concerning security for each of them. Ease of use, though a matter of opinion, would be useful as well.

Regardless of which Email client you use....the best FREE security is the mind / eye / hand co ordination
& the quality of decisions
made by the the operator
who clicks the mouse etc etc.

In other words think before clicking.

FYI
* Limit posting your e-mail address on a public forum or website. It is estimated that 95% of all junk e-mail is caused by a person publicly disclosing his or her e-mail address.

* Avoid: Popular newsgroups - robots often scour these lists for addresses.
Chat rooms like Yahoo Chat etc- spammers or spambots are actively mining in popular chat rooms.

* Use spam blocking tools. Most webmail providers offer them, or you can download one.

Ask a Question