SOLVED dvd wont read win 7

Reaction score
hi all.
im new here :)

i have some serious installation problems

I've tried to install windows 7 via WDS and there i get a error called 0xc0000001, i tried to google it but the solution's was'nt to be found anywhere, and those i've found did'nt work at all :/

the weird part is i was installing it the first time via the dvddrive but when it came to extracting files it looked like it was working but it never came to 1% in the process.
waited over one hour tho.

no matter how i try i can't get the damn dvd to read from the dvddrive, i've tried different version of windows but it seems like the drive would read from the disk at all.
the drive just blinks and then seems to terminate its process after a while.
and now it wont read from the any dc/dvd.

i really need help, and anything would help, i hope :D

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi darkjinx,
Welcome to the Windows 7 forums.
Have you managed to actually boot from the DVD drive? If not you might have to change the boot priority settings in the BIOS. To do that, Reboot your PC and when you should see something like "Press DEL to enter setup". Press the key that was said, and when the BIOS shows up, go to the boot section and select your DVD Drive as the first one to boot from. Press F10.
Once your installation DVD is in, reboot and if you get a prompt like "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" , do so.

Cheers,
Fire

Reaction score
hi fire cat and think you :D

yea i got it to boot up once and made it the the second stage (extracting files) but it seemed like it would'nt go to the 1% so after one hour or so i've turned it off to try and start all over, but without luck :/

i've been there already, the boot is like this:
1 dvd/cd drive
2 hdd
3 hdd
4 lan

i've tried that with the bios aswell, but the result is a ntldr or bootmgr error.
another thing iv'e noticed is that it look like the bios is missing alot of features.
like power settings and so on, i have a external dvd/cd drive but it seems like i cant setup it up to boot also

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, that's not great....
I suppose you allready have a OS on your PC? Which on? Can you boot into it? If yes, try updating your BIOS. Also what is your Pc's configuration? (HDDs, RAM, Processor...). There might be a configuration problem.

Fire Cat

Last edited:
Reaction score
not at all :/
well i was in the installation once and formated the system, so no luck there also.
its a aspire 9810 intel core 2 1,83GHz 2 gb ram nvidia g73 e463(taken frm the bios)
i've just tried the acer installation dvd, did'nt work as well :/

Reaction score
is it possible to make ubuntu work with a WDS installation, because it wont let me use the dvd-drive anymore, witch sucks pretty much...

very interesting thread, but i dont think its relevant for my problem. but thx anyway :D
im trying to install via the pxe boot agent as my only option left but it says that a device is inaccesseble, when its done downloading the image

i will look into ubuntu for now ... thx fire cat :D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So you're saying that you're attempting to install Windows 7 through WDS? (Windows Deployment Services).

Isn't WDS used for corporate multi-setup installs? It this for corporate use and install or personal?

Why aren't you just using the install DVD? Since your DVD drive is set for the first boot priority, it is strange that the drive is not reading the DVD.

The DVD disc does have the proper ISO image on it?

Please give as much info as possible.

Reaction score
hi nibiru2012

yea i've setup a domain controller and all. its for personal use(i love mingle around in systems and see how it works) and i know the WDS works i tested the deployment on my mini lab(it installed without errors). and ofcause WDS is build for coperated but never heard about i can't use is as its a part of my win 2008 server for personal use :)

as i posted earlyer the dvd-drive just blinks, and yes its very weird because it can open and close.its like the computer dont know its a bootable system on the drive or anything at all on the drive, i've incounted this on my girlfriends lab as well(i gave up on that computer by the way).

i've tried the install DVD i have the genue for both vista and win 7 and none of them work, i've checked the DVD to see if it was damaged but they're brand new for 1 and second they work on all other computers i've tried. its very confusing, i believed i've tried almost about everything to get that DVD to work, and oh yesterday it worked in the begining but when it came to extract the files after it was copied it seemed like it would'nt extract the files.

if you need more info please let me know :D

best regards darkjinx

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If it were me I would just try to do the install as a if it were normal for a standalone computer.

I assume you're using the DVD in the computer's DVD drive that you're attempting to install Windows 7 on, and that you have it set as the "First Boot Device" priority in the computer's BIOS.

Reaction score
hi again.
i really dont care how i get the install up and running lol i just want it running.

yes its the first boot device in the boot menu in the bios, found out this:
when i turn all power off for a while sometimes the dvd work, but not for long so when im getting to "expanding windows files" it just stays at 0%. and the DVD looks like it's waiting for something. i've also tried with a beta version of 7 and it comes to a point where it asking for the driver for the dvd device ... now i've taking one of the 2 HDD's out just to try all possible solutions, also i've tried to remove the ram one block at a time, did'nt get anywhere with that tho :D

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Be sure your DVD drive lens is clean. Also, unplug all extra hard drives except the one you want to install Windows 7 to.

For some strange reason, Windows 7 is very finicky when there are more than one hard drive present during install. Why this is I do not know, all I do know is that I could never get it to install with two or more hard drives connected to the motherboard.

Just unplug the SATA cable from either the drive or the motherboard, you don't need to unplug the power to the drive or take the drive out.

Reaction score
im not sure how to check that the lens is clean
the DVD drive is sealed so when it opens it just comes out of the computer.(no lid or anything)
i see well i've toke one of the 2 harddrives out, but it still won't read from the DVD :/

it has no sata drive, all i see when i open the buttom of the labtop is the ide0 and ide1, the DVD is ide2. and in the bios ofcause-

also i can't figur out how to get the dvd drive out of the labtop. :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
There are DVD Lens Cleaning discs available that have little brushes on them that swipe the lens during a cleaning cycle.

Take out the second drive - IDE1. Consult your laptop user manual it usually has a section on how to remove the drive. Some are just a spring-loaded setup where you just pull back on the drive and it will slip out.

I'll try to find out for you.

The user manual shows the laptop is setup for a RAID configuration, that's why there are two hard drive. Have you done that?

Have you called ACER and talked to their tech support people?

Last edited:
Reaction score
yea i better get one of those, but im not sure if that is the problem, i did look in the manuel but no luck. there is nothing to grib on or anything to gain access to the dvd drive.
its funny because i can't find anything in the bios about raid or sata.
i saw in the manuel
the manuel i got is for the 9800 and 9810 and most of it dont add up with the lab i got.
i just talk to a friend of mine who's something somethign at acer's support. he didnt got the time today :/

Reaction score
i managed to get the hard drives out and backedup and formatted.

i think one of the 2 hard drives is in a bad shape.

also i was told by a guy i know that it was proberly both the HDD's and the DVD.

anyway i'm have to find a way to install a os on that labtop. after im done formating the harddrives i might have a chance... or thats my hope for an solution

Reaction score
FINALLY :D

i did it i tricked the damn acer :D weeeeeeeee

here's how i did it.

i was reading about installing from a usb key, found out mine was to small for this. so i removed the HDD's and safely installed them in the server.
then i formated both hard drives. and did like it says in this article http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vista-from-usb-drive-detailed-100-working-guide/
and instead of the usb i used the sata harddrive. and .... IT DID WORK ... now i finnaly can sleep again lol

thx to niibiru2012 and fire cat for help and support in this matter ... you guys inspirered me to come this fare :D

Best regards Darkjinx

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey!
Good work Darkjinx!
By the way, don't forget to mark the thread as "Solved"!

Fire Cat.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Good Deal! Glad it all worked out for you!

Reaction score
hi again .... fire cat .... man has won this round lol
i just made it sovled :) thx again

nibiru2012 it was hell toke me 1½ hour pr harddrive. so i think they might be damaged :)
and thx again couldnt have done it without you guys :D

Ask a Question