Driving 2 monitors

Reaction score
Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. i7 quad core newbuild. Using this graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127557. I am driving 2 monitors, with the display duplicated on both, using the Control Panel display settings dialog. One monitor is a desktop LCD, running at 1680 x 1050, the other is a plasma in another room, connected by HDMI, running 1280 x 720. I am using a hotkey utility to switch between the 2, depending on which I am using at the moment. But in my previous XP build (different machine) I was able to get full screen on BOTH of these same 2 monitors at the same time, using ATI Catalyst, which will not load with this PC (don't know why, keeps failing). Any ideas how I can get full screen simultaneously in the setup I just described?

Thanks,

Dan

Reaction score
I see the Plasma is connected with the HDMI. How is the LCD connected, what type of connection cable?

Reaction score
That's your problem right there...VGA connections are limited and that's why the plasma is is only receiveing the resolution of the VGA connection

Reaction score
BassFisher - Can you elaborate on that? The card has VGA, DVI & HDMI outputs. I'm now using the VGA (lcd monitor) & HDMI (plasma). How would it be different if I used the DVI to the lcd?

Thanks,

Dan

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think this is a resolution setting problem. I don't see what limitations VGA might impose has any impact here whatsoever.

Understand VGA may not really be VGA. It is actually incorrect to say you are connecting via VGA. You are actually connecting via an analog "D-Sub" connector/cable. VGA is a resolution, not a connector. Analog connectors are D-Sub, not VGA. Just as digital connectors are DVI or HDMI. You don't say WUXGA, for example. And you can certainly obtain very high resolutions via analog.

Is this the same graphics card you were using with XP?

I would suggest you check out a multi-monitor utility. My favorite is UltraMon – not free, but worth it. Others have suggested the free DisplayFusion, but I have no experience with it.

Ask a Question