Driver for Canon LBP3000

Reaction score
This is my first post, I have been reading this forum with great interest there are some great tips here.
My problem is i just bought a brand new computer HP Pavillion running Windows 7 Home Premium edition, and I am having trouble installing my Canon laser Printer LBP 3000. I have found a driver for it which is supposed to be for Windows 7 here :
http://support-au.canon.com.au/contents/AU/EN/0900786302.html
I have downloaded it but when I try to install it i get the following error message
<"Cannot correctly run this installer on this operating system, Use an installer compatible with this system"> I have tried with the windows compatibility program, still no success.
Hoping someone can help me, as this is a great little printer I would hate to have to throw it out.
Thanks
from Oz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've downloaded this driver and it seems to run ok for me? Did you get the error when running the file you downloaded, or the subsequent setup.exe from the driver package?

If it's the former, you should be able to extract the archive manually using something like WinRar (www.rarlabs.com), if it's the latter you can install the printer manually. When you connect it and W7 asks for the drivers, tell if you will browse to the driver location and then select the extracted folder - it should find then automatically in one of the subdirectories.

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Ian. I can extract this file from the Zip but wont install from the setup.
I have tried installing the printer manually, when I plug the printer in it comes up Canon CAPT USB device. I have tried using the disc, and I've tried pointing to the extracted folder, no succes.
One other thing, when it asks for a port, which port do io select? I'm a bit confused here, use an excisting port? if so which one/ or crate a new port? and if so which one again/ Sorry to be so dumb with this.
Sam from Oz

Reaction score
Thanks for replying Ian. I can extract this file from the Zip but wont install from the setup.
I have tried installing the printer manually, when I plug the printer in it comes up Canon CAPT USB device. I have tried using the disc, and I've tried pointing to the extracted folder, no succes.
One other thing, when it asks for a port, which port do io select? I'm a bit confused here, use an excisting port? if so which one/ or crate a new port? and if so which one again/ Sorry to be so dumb with this.
Sam from Oz
Your new computer, like many new computers, probably has more than 3GB of RAM, so it has had Windows 7 64bit installed on it.

Canon in their wisdom have not released a 64bit driver for their (older) laser printers like the LBP3000. Unfortunate... I have a friend who is in the same position.

It might be time to sell it on ebay or give away to a friend who has an older PC, and buy something new.

That's what I think the problem is anyway...

That's the problem I encountered when trying to help my friend. It's a shame really. Be sure to check that there's 64bit Windows 7 drivers for any printer you buy from now on - it's surprising to see they still don't see it as a mainstream operating system...

Reaction score
Thanks for replying jelreyn. I guess I have to accept this, but I will not buy another Canon product, I have only had this printer just over 12 months. I will take your advice and check that the next printer I buy has the 64bit windows drivers.
Sam from oz

Reaction score
If you want to gamble, it might be worth spending a bit of time sending a query to Canon Australia as to whether they're planning to make a 64-bit driver available for the LBP-3000.

Another thing to check it to be sure you are actually using a 64-bit version of Windows 7 - I could be completely wrong in that earlier assumption.

You can check by going to the Control Panel, clicking on System and Security, and then clicking on System in the following window.

That should bring up a window that says 'View basic information about your computer' and then there down in the middle somewhere it will say
System type: 64-bit Operating System
or not, as the case may be.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Yes it is a 64bit operating system. And i shall definately be contacting Canon Australia. I will let the forum know if i get a reply.
Thanks again for your help.
Sam from Oz

Reaction score
EASY 64 bit driver work around

Im surprised no one has mentioned this...

If you are having trouble with a Perfectly FINE printer on win 64

buy a device to connect your printer to your router. That way you have a network printer that you can use on any PC in your house even when your regular one is turned off. Even if you only have one PC with the prices of PCS these days they are bound to get cheaper and you will probably get a second one...

Reaction score
Hi Asher
Thanks for your reply. This sounds interesting, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "device" do you mean a special cable? I do have 2 ports free on my Netgear wireless modem. But its the printer driver that's the problem, I can't get one for this printer in Windows7 64 bit Cannon havnt made one yet. So doing it this way don't I need a driver? sorry i'm not very computer literate.

Reaction score
Hi popcorntoes

Thanks Asher, I never thought about the print servers for network connections.

For a Parallel Printer - TRENDnet TE100-P1P Parallel Print Server

For a USB Printer - IOGEAR GPSU21 1-Port Print Server RJ45 USB 2.0

There are others but those are two examples. Connect the little box to your network and then your printer to the little box. I've never used one so I'm not sure if there is a special configuration involved.

PS, This will only work if you have an available network port for the server to connect.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi popcorntoes, welcome to the forum! Just wondering, to make sure all bases are covered, did you install the driver per the instructions before you plugged in your printer? Hopefully, you'll get your printer going, one way or the other. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for your reply. yes I did try to install the driver before turning on, but couldnt even install it as I have a 64 bit system and the driver was 32 bit. Cannon havn't made a driver for the LBP3000 for 64 bit systems yet. I contacted them but with no success, they didnt even reply.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's a shame, you contact a company you buy from, and they don't even have the decency to contact you back. They could have done that much, and not leave you hanging this long. I have tried to search for an answer for you, but keep running into a wall. There are Vista drivers, but 32 bit only. Too, this printer runs with Windows ME & Win 2K, I honestly don't think they will publish a 64 bit driver for it, considering it's age. The only thing that I can think of would be the network solution that was posted beforehand. And one other possibility, but it's a long shot, so keep this in mind. Sometimes you can find hard to find printer solutions at Microsoft Answers. That's how I found my driver, my printer's a little old, too. I will continue to search, and should I find anything, I'll post back.:)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
popcorntoes, there may be one answer that may help you, I can't 100% guarantee you it will work, but it's a possibility. Have you ever used a virtual machine (VM)? What this does is, it's a PC within a PC. The VM is free. It's called VM Player, you can download it without registration from File Hippo. But what you need is a Windows OS (ME, Win 2000 or XP) to install inside of it. That could allow you to get your printer going again. Other than that, I could find nothing. I've searched other forums on this, there are many users awaiting a driver, but no answer from Canon. The above solution is the best I can find.

Reaction score
Thanks for trying to find a solution for me. That does sound like the way to go, but i dont feel confident enough to do it myself, so will try and find someone more qualified to do it for me.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It's not too hard, but if you've never done it before, it can appear complicated. If you have an XP disc with a vaild COA, that would be best. If not, an earlier version will do. The earlier versions are easier for you to install, however at this time, only XP and Windows 2000 are still being updated. Windows 98, ME & 2000 are reasonably priced and easy to find on eBay. Being that at one time you used this printer, you are probably familiar with one or more of these OS's. If you need to use these OS's to print, fine, use it. But it wouldn't be a good idea to use it for everyday use, as Windows 7 is much more secure. If you find someone to help and need further instructions, post, as soon as I see it, I'll get back with you. Hope the best for you, I understand your frustration, as I had an older printer myself that took two months to find a driver for. Keep in touch, you can PM me if you want.

Reaction score
Im surprised no one has mentioned this...

If you are having trouble with a Perfectly FINE printer on win 64

buy a device to connect your printer to your router. That way you have a network printer that you can use on any PC in your house even when your regular one is turned off. Even if you only have one PC with the prices of PCS these days they are bound to get cheaper and you will probably get a second one...
Sorry for the late reply, anyway, by device I mean a little box like your netgear wireless modem. Its called a print server. Im sure in OZ you can just go to your local PC store, ask for a print server and there will be tones of PC gurus to help you.

So you plug that into your wireless modem, then your printer becomes part of your home network. Its basically the same way offices and schools share 1 printer for many PCs, in this case its a good work around for an absent driver.

It will cost about $50... but its simple and "should" work fine. Anyway the shop staff in OZ are great, if it doesnt work properly, Im sure you can just bring it back the same day and get a refund... nothing lost.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, anyway, by device I mean a little box like your netgear wireless modem. Its called a print server. Im sure in OZ you can just go to your local PC store, ask for a print server and there will be tones of PC gurus to help you.

So you plug that into your wireless modem, then your printer becomes part of your home network. Its basically the same way offices and schools share 1 printer for many PCs, in this case its a good work around for an absent driver.

It will cost about $50... but its simple and "should" work fine. Anyway the shop staff in OZ are great, if it doesnt work properly, Im sure you can just bring it back the same day and get a refund... nothing lost.
Will this work even if the printer itself isn't wireless? I have a Netgear wireless modem. What do I do with this print server for all of my computers to print from this?

Reaction score
Plug in your printer here

Plug in your router cable here

Lets you share a printer among multiple PCs. You can place your printer right where you want it for most convenience. It works with wired or wireless routers from any vendor, and it's compatible with most USB port printers (including bi-directional printers) from HP®, Canon®, Epson®, Lexmark®, and others. Supports all major Microsoft® Windows® operating systems.
Read more here - Netgear USB 2.0 Mini Print Server - PS121

I've not had a chance to use one so all I can do is show how they connect. I don't know if 64-Bit print drivers are still needed to operate the shared printer on a 64-Bit system.

Ask a Question