Drive Icons get changed

Reaction score
I Have Two Hard Disks One 500 GB Sata and second 40 GB
On SATA Hard Disk There are 4 Partions ( C , D , E , F )
40 GB Hard Disk Have ( G , H ) partions Previously I Have Installed XP SP3 on C : Dive and Windows 7 on D: Drive But Due Some reason I Have Formated C and D Drive and Installed
Fresh XP SP3 on C : Drive and Windows 7 on E : Drive every thing was fine upto an Installation of Accronics True Drive .
After Installation of Accronics True Drive Software My C And E Drive Icons are as useual But the remaing ( D , F , G, H ) Icons had changed .
I Have Tried every Thing possible to get Icons Back to normal Position But never worked
Some one posted twek To Reg change It also fails , Please Give me any solution
In windows All Drive Icons are not changed they remain as they should by default

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Just to double check, in Windows 7 was the registry key to "tweak" located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons ?

Reaction score
In Windows7 all Icons are Normal But The Problem is only with XP
in XP Reg Key is Missing HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
You can create the "drive icons" key if it isn't there. Then add your Drive Letters and add a DefaultIcon key with a path to the icon you wish to use, the same as you would in Seven. A typical example of a .reg file would look like this:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\D]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\D\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\AALMER\\ALMERCONS.DLL,37"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\F]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\F\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\AALMER\\ALMERCONS.DLL,62"
Another way to do it with XP (although I never managed to do it this way!!) was by adding an Autorun.inf file with your desired icon path in the root directory of the drive you want to change the icon in.

I'm just wondering if Acronis has done this with your D, F, G & H drives in your XP set up? Might be worth a look-see to see if you can find, for example, D:\Autorun.inf, F:\Autorun.inf etc. with references to icons.

This PCMag article from 2005 explains the Autorun.inf method better than I can, and it saves me a load of one finger typing!

Let us know how you get on!

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can create the "drive icons" key if it isn't there. Then add your Drive Letters and add a DefaultIcon key with a path to the icon you wish to use, the same as you would in Seven. A typical example of a .reg file would look like this:
Another way to do it with XP (although I never managed to do it this way!!) was by adding an Autorun.inf file with your desired icon path in the root directory of the drive you want to change the icon in.

I'm just wondering if Acronis has done this with your D, F, G & H drives in your XP set up? Might be worth a look-see to see if you can find, for example, D:\Autorun.inf, F:\Autorun.inf etc. with references to icons.

This PCMag article from 2005 explains the Autorun.inf method better than I can, and it saves me a load of one finger typing!

Let us know how you get on!
Yes off course A set of Three Hidden folders were found On Each Drive ( Which Icons Were changed) Called - Autorun.ini , Desktop.ini ,and Commet.htt containing a .inf file With Comments " lpt3.Drive_is_protected_against_flash_viruses_by_RegRun" and was not able to delete by all means. But Thanks To Reno Uninstaller I Have Tried to Secure Force delete but not able to del. it only says " Files a secuarly Deleted but some files will delete after Reboot " and the Folder get automatically Renamed to ZZZZZ.ZZZ after reboot nothing was changed the same ZZZZZ.ZZZ folder was present on each drive with the same file file with it . But After I Have changed the folder name to any XYZ , ABC . AZZ and reboot the system Icons Are Backed to their original , But Still the Folders on each Drive in hidden

Ask a Question