Downgarding from 64 to 32bit?

Reaction score
Hi

Having 'upgraded' to 64bit a few months ago, I'm fed up with the lack of support (Sony) in getting 64bit drivers (video etc) and want to go back to 32bit.

A numpty question, perhaps, but how do I achieve this?

Is is a complete wipe and reinstall from scratch? Or can I replace the OS and keep everything else intact?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Oops! Forgot to mention I have the Home Premium upgrade version.
JB

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Your video card is probably either nVidia or Radeon so you can get the drivers from there.

You'll have to do a clean install and start over if you want to retrograde to 32-bit. Reinstall all the software, drivers, etc.

What exactly is the issue with the 64-bit? Be more specific and we may find the solution for you.

Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the reply.

It is an Nvidia card, and the problem is me having to run apps without DirectX support. Makes it very slow!

Nvidia don't provide drivers directly for my laptop, as it's a Sony Vaio (VGN-AR41L), and say that Sony should be providing the 64bit drivers. Sony have no plans to do so. Didn't think of that one when I converted to 64bit!

I did try downloading/installing Nvidia drivers, but the software's clever enough to detect it's a Sony, and stops installing it/them.

I have some minor issues with some little used peripherals, in that 64bit USB drivers aren't provided (eg Parrot SK4000 handsfree kit, for software upgrades). I won't lose any sleep over those, but the video issue means I can't use GoogleEarth to plot/view my motorcycle tours etc.

If I do have to start afresh, will the Upgrade version I have be OK for a custom install, as I don't know if I still have the original Vista disks :-(

Thanks again

JB

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If I do have to start afresh, will the Upgrade version I have be OK for a custom install
yes it will be fine
and yes it would require a complete reinstall of everything so back up your data first {removed} and store those files to another HD, flash/pen drive or burn them to a CD/DVD.

Personally I would try harder to get 64 drivers first. Try the Vista 64 drivers Sony has, as those may work.

EDIT: I originally said to use W7 Easy Transfer to back up the files and then restore them with it on the new install. I have since learned this will work going from 32 to 64 bit but it will NOT work when downgrading from 64 to 32, so it will have to be done manually.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try this first

Try this first. It may solve your problem. Go to either Bing, Google, etc. search for DriverAgent. Run it. It will open up your browser and list outdated drivers. You'll have to pay for a yeard dubscription. It's worth as it can be used on numerous computers. If this doesn't help for your 64 bit drivers, then do a clean 32 bit install. This should help you though. Also, make sure you read the Readme files for all drivers. Some drivers have to be installed a certain way. That's were DriverAgent beats all it's competition, it gives you the specific readme files, so you know to install that driver.UOTE=Joybringer;57899]Hi

Having 'upgraded' to 64bit a few months ago, I'm fed up with the lack of support (Sony) in getting 64bit drivers (video etc) and want to go back to 32bit.

A numpty question, perhaps, but how do I achieve this?

Is is a complete wipe and reinstall from scratch? Or can I replace the OS and keep everything else intact?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Oops! Forgot to mention I have the Home Premium upgrade version.
JB[/QUOTE]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Personally I don't believe the paid driver services are any better than the free ones. Both can seriously mess you up if they offer and you install the wrong drivers but for devices that are not working it may be worth a try. I used Device Doctor and it found two that worked and at least one that messed up my system so I had to use a restore point in safe mode to recover. So if you are going to try the drivers, install one at a time, creating a restore point before and rebooting after each.

DISCLAIMER: Driver agents very often suggest wrong or out-dated drivers themselves. So, if your sound isn't broken then don't install those on the say-so of a driver agent, instead try to do some research on that particular piece of your hardware, go to the makers site .. or just keep what you have.

Last edited:

Ask a Question