Display Auto-Detect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm getting a new LCD display for my Windows XP machine.

I right-click the desktop and go to settings to see the available resolutions, but does the list I see depend on what monitor the computer is hooked to, or is the list of the computer's specifically? Like if I hooked up to a different monitor, will the choices be different, or would I still have the same resolutions to choose from?

Also if the right resolution isn't there to choose, does a monitor just automatically set the resolution straight? The new monitor is a 16:9 Dell LCD monitor on a Dell desktop computer with Windows XP, and this computer originally came with a 4:3 LCD monitor.

Reaction score
but does the list I see depend on what monitor the computer is hooked to,
Simple answer is yes

Also if the right resolution isn't there to choose, does a monitor just automatically set the resolution straight?
No

If you have your new monitor and the resolutions for it are wrong, uninstall you video adapter reboot and then reintall wit the latest drivers.

HTH

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The monitor tells the computer what resolutions it cannot display and whatever resolutions the video card can handle are left. So if your video card cannot display in wide-screen then you may never find a resolution that looks "quite right".

Reaction score
I went to see the drivers for the service tag of the computer I'm hooking the monitor to on Dell's site, but none of the video drivers dealt with resolutions...there was just one and it was a patch fix for bug issues regarding a program.

Reaction score
The video drivers do deal with the resolutions. If you uninstall your current video drivers download the latest from Dell, then install them. Rebooting at the end.

The monitor tells the vid card using edid what resolutions it can handle and then the video card sends the monitor the correct format for the resolution.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The video drivers do deal with the resolutions.
I believe he is saying there were no new video drivers that added additional screen resolutions listed at the manufacturers site

The monitor tells the vid card using edid what resolutions it can handle and then the video card sends the monitor the correct format for the resolution.
Probably a minor point but It is my understanding that the monitor does not tell the computer what it CAN display but rather tells it what it cannot.

MJOLNIR,
A video card can't suddenly display in resolutions it wasn't designed to support. If it can only output 1024x768 or 800x600 then it isn't going to suddenly be able to provide 1280x720 just because you add a 16:9 monitor.

What is the make model of your video card? If it is on-board video from the motherboard then what is the make model of the motherboard if you know it or at least the model of Dell computer you have?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Multiple W7 sites = more help = win. :p
Actually it is considered poor forum etiquette to post the same question on multiple forums at the same time. If you don't get an answer after 4 or 5 days then fine but otherwise it's somewhat rude.

Reaction score
Probably a minor point but It is my understanding that the monitor does not tell the computer what it CAN display but rather tells it what it cannot.
Sorry to disagree but I'm in to Vid Cards and displays.

From the Wiki

Extended display identification data (EDID) is a data structure provided by a digital display to describe its capabilities to a video source (e.g. graphics card, Set-top box). It is what enables a modern personal computer to know what kinds of monitors are connected to it. EDID is defined by a standard published by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). The EDID includes manufacturer name and serial number, product type, phosphor or filter type, timings supported by the display, display size, luminance data and (for digital displays only) pixel mapping data.

Reaction score
Well this isn't supposed to be a permanent monitor anyway (planning on using it for one semester, or more depending on when and if I get a laptop for college) so whatever, I'll just deal with it. By the way it's a Dimension 3100/E310 desktop computer from Dell.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is important to note that monitors do not need drivers. The OS does not communicate with the monitor, it communicates with the graphics solution (via EDID as explained by Nemesis). Monitors are plug and play. Monitor drivers are not true drivers - they merely tell Windows the brand and model number, and they tell the Control Panel Display app what resolutions the monitor does NOT support by removing them from the list of options. But note you can opt to see all resolutions the card supports - even though the monitor may not.

Reaction score
the display resolutions are detected by windows and monitor and you will only see that list that are compatible

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Actually it is considered poor forum etiquette to post the same question on multiple forums at the same time. If you don't get an answer after 4 or 5 days then fine but otherwise it's somewhat rude.
I agree 100% TM! Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Reaction score
To someone who asked, my make/model of my desktop computer is Dell, Dimension 3100/E310.

The only video driver I saw for it (which I guess would be under "Video" in drivers and downloads) is this:

File Title(s) Importance Release Date Version Download & Options
Sonic Solutions - Patch/Upgrade
Applies to:
CinePlayer 3.x

I'm not sure what this has to do with increasing resolution options.

So anyway how do I find out what all resolutions just my video card supports? And also I was wondering if some LCD monitors allows a vertical and horizontal stretch of the screen, or are all LCD monitors fixed when it comes to aspect ratio?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Applies to: CinePlayer 3.x
This is not a video driver; it is a bug fix for Sonic's CinePlayer program. It has NOTHING to do with increasing resolution options.

Reaction score
Actually never mind, I saw that there's a "full" list of drivers and downloads for my system. I believe the only relevant things would be under video but I could be wrong, so I posted all the categories below. I read the descriptions for the video drivers and none of them seem to say gives you more resolutions. Best thing I want to do now is find out and see what resolutions my card supports. Where can I find that info?

Applications (2)
Audio (2)
Bios (1)
CD/DVD (11)
Chipset (1)
Communication (6)
Diagnostics (2)
Mouse & Keyboards (3)
Network (4)
SATA Drives (3)
System Utilities (1)
Dell - Utility
Applies to:
Desktop System Software
Optional 1/5/2007 1.14.0, A06
Download
Add To Download List

Video (7)
ATI - Driver
Applies to:
TVT2 Wonder Elite - Internal Single Analog NTSC TV Tuner
Optional 2/15/2007 8.33.7,
A07 (xp32)
Download
Add To Download List
ATI - Driver
Applies to:
TVT2-DT TV Wonder Elite
Recommended 8/14/2006 8.205-060104...
Download
Add To Download List
AVerMedia - Driver
Applies to:
M038 - External USB PAL-SECAM Analog TV Tuner
Recommended 8/14/2006 4.0.11.66, A00
Download
Add To Download List
Hauppauge - Driver
Applies to:
WinTV PVR 150 : Internal PAL-SECAM Single Analog TV Tuner
Recommended 8/14/2006 2.0.30.23291,
A01
Download
Add To Download List
Intel - Driver
Applies to:
Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video
Recommended 10/12/2005 6.14.10.4299,
A08
Download
Add To Download List
Intel - Driver
Applies to:
82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family
Optional 7/31/2006 6.14.10.4543,
A09
Download
Add To Download List
Applies to:
CinePlayer 3.x
Urgent 1/3/2007 301B11C, A03_Q
Download
Add To Download List

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Download and install SIW. Then go to the Hardware - Video section. It MIGHT show allowed resolutions.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This one ...
Intel - Driver
Applies to:
Intel Grantsdale G Integrated Video
Recommended 10/12/2005 6.14.10.4299,
... is your video driver to install.

Reaction score
Was a post here deleted and if so, can I kindly ask why?

I believe I asked here how to get somewhere in resolution settings. Someone here (or somewhere else) mentioned there's a way to see all resolutions supported by your video card. I was wondering where I can see that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question