DirectX 11 download question

Reaction score
Download Direct3D 11 (DirectX 11) for Windows 7 and Vista

This link specifies that DirectX 11 cannot be installed on XP systems. I have read this several times and understand why.
However, Direct3D 11 DirectX 11 that supported on Windows 7 and Windows Vista only. Except Windows XP users cannot install DirectX 11.
But yet on the download site from Microsoft.
DirectX Software Development Kit

System Requirements
  • Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista; Windows Vista 64-bit Editions Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Business; Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Business N; Windows Vista Enterprise; Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic; Windows Vista Home Basic 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Home Basic N; Windows Vista Home Premium; Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit edition; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows Vista Starter; Windows Vista Starter N; Windows Vista Ultimate; Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition; Windows XP; Windows XP 64-bit; Windows XP Home Edition ; Windows XP Home Edition N; Windows XP Media Center Edition; Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2; Windows XP Professional Edition ; Windows XP Professional N; Windows XP Professional x64 Edition ; Windows XP Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 3; Windows XP Starter Edition; Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
Is it not DirectX 11 being install to XP from this Development Kit?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
It seems to be a contradiction ?, i know DirectX 11 works in Windows 7 but for XP i have not tried ...but i would love to know if anyone has got DirectX 11 running in Windows XP.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I took my XP laptop to find this out. I was going to download it myself, but was steered to a site called "Real Time Rendering". There was an article dated 9/23/2009, it stated that the AMD Radeon HD 5870, the first GPU to support the Direct 11 Feature Set has been developed. There also was a reference to it being shipped with Windows 7. I don't know if this is the same exact program that you're referring to, but that's were I was led. There was also a link on the page at the top of this thread about a "fake" DirectX 11 that contained a trojan horse, trying to get XP users (gamers) to bite at an upgrade, only to possibly be infected. I know that I have DirectX 9 on XP, but never really knew what it was for, also I have it on Win 2K Pro. I see that software development kit is 514.2MB. XP itself isn't much larger than that. It fits onto a 700MB CD.

Last edited:

Ask a Question