Desktop: New Folders Attributes.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I've only noticed this one recently but I've set my Desktop folder attributes (and all others apart from the obvious) to "General" with which I have the large icon view. I always apply the settings to sub-folders as well.

However, when I create a new folder on the Desktop and drop something in it, when opened I've got the list view instead, which is my setting for the "Documents" attribute.

I'm sure this never used to be like this :confused:. Any ideas?

Yours,
Confused of Durham

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Elmer did you ever resolve this?

I was trying to simulate it and whenever I try the properties for Desktop I do not get a Customize Tab so I have no way to set it's folder type at all. If the Desktop by its' nature has no folder type then I wouldn't expect folders put there to be changed.

Also, are you actually moving the folders under desktop or simply creating a shortcut to them on the desktop?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I suppose I should have marked this as answered, although no, I didn't really get it 'solved'. I should also have mentiond I'd relocated Desktop!!

I thought it may be due to the fact that I'd changed the Desktop folders location. So I restored it to default. I then made a new folder called Desktop where I want it and set its properties to general just for the hell of it. Then I relocated the desktop folder to my new one. Now when I create a new folder on the desktop (not a shortcut to) and open it I have my 'general items' view setting (large icons) as opposed to my documents view (list).

And you're right, with default Desktop there is no customise tab. So once I've relocated to my new folder, there is no option. Why it's changed I'm still none the wiser!

Another Wonder of Windows methinks!!

Ask a Question