Desktop Icons Invisible While Dragging

Discussion in 'alt.windows7.general' started by Ken Dibble, Feb 5, 2010.

  1. Ken Dibble

    Ken Dibble Guest

    Hi All,

    I haven't been able to find a message here that addresses this issue.

    In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    difficult.

    In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?

    Please note, this is not a question about "hiding icons" nor am I
    saying my icons have permanently disappeared. Note also, this is only
    about DESKTOP icons.

    The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mouse
    button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, the
    icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release the
    mouse button. I can't precisely position an icon under these
    circumstances.

    This problem is NOT solved by checking the "Show window contents while
    dragging" checkbox in the "Performance Options" tab. That box has
    always been checked on my system and it has no effect on visibility of
    desktop icons when dragging.

    Thanks for any help.
     
    Ken Dibble, Feb 5, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Ken Dibble

    Scott Brooks Guest

    On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 10:27:30 -0500, Ken Dibble wrote:

    > The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mouse
    > button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, the
    > icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release the
    > mouse button.


    Interesting, I do not see the same behavior. What graphics card do you
    have, and have you updated the drivers? Also what theme are you using?

    --
    Scott Brooks
     
    Scott Brooks, Feb 5, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Ken Dibble

    Trev Guest

    "Ken Dibble" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I haven't been able to find a message here that addresses this issue.
    >
    > In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    > until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    > difficult.
    >
    > In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    > there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?
    >
    > Please note, this is not a question about "hiding icons" nor am I
    > saying my icons have permanently disappeared. Note also, this is only
    > about DESKTOP icons.
    >
    > The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mouse
    > button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, the
    > icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release the
    > mouse button. I can't precisely position an icon under these
    > circumstances.
    >
    > This problem is NOT solved by checking the "Show window contents while
    > dragging" checkbox in the "Performance Options" tab. That box has
    > always been checked on my system and it has no effect on visibility of
    > desktop icons when dragging.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.


    Mine are visible whilst dragging In fact the original icon stays in position
    until I have stopped dragging a copy and let go. I But I don't know what is
    different on my set up. I normally have them hidden , so its not something I
    have done to to help me sort them.
     
    Trev, Feb 5, 2010
    #3
  4. Ken Dibble

    Ken Dibble Guest

    >>In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >>until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them

    difficult.

    >>In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >>there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?


    >Interesting, I do not see the same behavior. What graphics card do you
    >have, and have you updated the drivers? Also what theme are you using?


    The computer is at work so I can't look up the graphics card at the moment.
    However, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and it displays the default desktop
    theme properly.

    I'm using the Windows Classic theme; maybe that's it? I should test with the
    default theme and see what happens. Still, it would be a bug if icons can't be
    seen while dragging in the Windows Classic theme.

    Thanks.
     
    Ken Dibble, Feb 5, 2010
    #4
  5. Ken Dibble

    Roy Smith Guest

    On 2/5/2010 9:27 AM, Ken Dibble wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I haven't been able to find a message here that addresses this issue.
    >
    > In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    > until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    > difficult.
    >
    > In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    > there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?
    >
    > Please note, this is not a question about "hiding icons" nor am I
    > saying my icons have permanently disappeared. Note also, this is only
    > about DESKTOP icons.
    >
    > The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mouse
    > button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, the
    > icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release the
    > mouse button. I can't precisely position an icon under these
    > circumstances.
    >
    > This problem is NOT solved by checking the "Show window contents while
    > dragging" checkbox in the "Performance Options" tab. That box has
    > always been checked on my system and it has no effect on visibility of
    > desktop icons when dragging.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.


    Try this. Right click on Computer (either on the desktop or in the
    start menu) and select properties. On the left side of the Computer
    window click on the line that says "Advanced system settings". In the
    Performance box, click on settings. Now on the Visual Effects tab,
    check the line that says "Show window contents while dragging" it should
    have a check mark in the box, if not click on the box to toggle it back
    on. Now click on ok on each window to get back to the desktop.

    This should allow you to see the icons as you drag them.

    --

    Roy Smith
    Windows 7 Home Premium

    Timestamp: Saturday, February 06, 2010 9:43:13 AM
     
    Roy Smith, Feb 6, 2010
    #5
  6. Ken Dibble

    Ken Dibble Guest

    On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:43:37 -0600, Roy Smith <> wrote:

    >On 2/5/2010 9:27 AM, Ken Dibble wrote:
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> I haven't been able to find a message here that addresses this issue.
    >>
    >> In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >> until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    >> difficult.
    >>
    >> In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >> there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?
    >>
    >> Please note, this is not a question about "hiding icons" nor am I
    >> saying my icons have permanently disappeared. Note also, this is only
    >> about DESKTOP icons.
    >>
    >> The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mouse
    >> button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, the
    >> icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release the
    >> mouse button. I can't precisely position an icon under these
    >> circumstances.
    >>
    >> This problem is NOT solved by checking the "Show window contents while
    >> dragging" checkbox in the "Performance Options" tab. That box has
    >> always been checked on my system and it has no effect on visibility of
    >> desktop icons when dragging.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

    >
    >Try this. Right click on Computer (either on the desktop or in the
    >start menu) and select properties. On the left side of the Computer
    >window click on the line that says "Advanced system settings". In the
    >Performance box, click on settings. Now on the Visual Effects tab,
    >check the line that says "Show window contents while dragging" it should
    >have a check mark in the box, if not click on the box to toggle it back
    >on. Now click on ok on each window to get back to the desktop.
    >
    >This should allow you to see the icons as you drag them.


    As I said in the last paragraph of my original post, that definitely does NOT
    work. That setting has NO effect on whether icons are visible while dragging on
    the desktop.

    Thanks.
     
    Ken Dibble, Feb 7, 2010
    #6
  7. Ken Dibble

    Roy Smith Guest

    On 2/6/2010 11:51 PM, Ken Dibble wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 09:43:37 -0600, Roy Smith <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2/5/2010 9:27 AM, Ken Dibble wrote:
    >>> Hi All,
    >>>
    >>> I haven't been able to find a message here that addresses this issue.
    >>>
    >>> In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >>> until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    >>> difficult.
    >>>
    >>> In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >>> there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?
    >>>
    >>> Please note, this is not a question about "hiding icons" nor am I
    >>> saying my icons have permanently disappeared. Note also, this is only
    >>> about DESKTOP icons.
    >>>
    >>> The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mouse
    >>> button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, the
    >>> icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release the
    >>> mouse button. I can't precisely position an icon under these
    >>> circumstances.
    >>>
    >>> This problem is NOT solved by checking the "Show window contents while
    >>> dragging" checkbox in the "Performance Options" tab. That box has
    >>> always been checked on my system and it has no effect on visibility of
    >>> desktop icons when dragging.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help.

    >>
    >> Try this. Right click on Computer (either on the desktop or in the
    >> start menu) and select properties. On the left side of the Computer
    >> window click on the line that says "Advanced system settings". In the
    >> Performance box, click on settings. Now on the Visual Effects tab,
    >> check the line that says "Show window contents while dragging" it should
    >> have a check mark in the box, if not click on the box to toggle it back
    >> on. Now click on ok on each window to get back to the desktop.
    >>
    >> This should allow you to see the icons as you drag them.

    >
    > As I said in the last paragraph of my original post, that definitely does NOT
    > work. That setting has NO effect on whether icons are visible while dragging on
    > the desktop.


    Well darn, I figured that would have cured your problem. Since it
    didn't I'm not sure where else you could look. Sorry I couldn't have
    been more helpful.

    --

    Roy Smith
    Windows 7 Home Premium

    Timestamp: Sunday, February 07, 2010 6:05:17 AM
     
    Roy Smith, Feb 7, 2010
    #7
  8. Ken Dibble

    Dave-UK Guest

    "Ken Dibble" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >>>In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >>>until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them

    > difficult.
    >
    >>>In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >>>there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?

    >
    >>Interesting, I do not see the same behavior. What graphics card do you
    >>have, and have you updated the drivers? Also what theme are you using?

    >
    > The computer is at work so I can't look up the graphics card at the moment.
    > However, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and it displays the default desktop
    > theme properly.
    >
    > I'm using the Windows Classic theme; maybe that's it? I should test with the
    > default theme and see what happens. Still, it would be a bug if icons can't be
    > seen while dragging in the Windows Classic theme.
    >
    > Thanks.


    I get the same result in Windows Classic - no icons while dragging.
    Same with any of the high contrast themes.
    Windows Basic works ok.
     
    Dave-UK, Feb 7, 2010
    #8
  9. Ken Dibble

    Len Hickman Guest

    "Dave-UK" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    >
    > "Ken Dibble" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>>>In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >>>>until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them

    >> difficult.
    >>
    >>>>In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >>>>there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?

    >>
    >>>Interesting, I do not see the same behavior. What graphics card do you
    >>>have, and have you updated the drivers? Also what theme are you using?

    >>
    >> The computer is at work so I can't look up the graphics card at the
    >> moment.
    >> However, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and it displays the default
    >> desktop
    >> theme properly.
    >>
    >> I'm using the Windows Classic theme; maybe that's it? I should test with
    >> the
    >> default theme and see what happens. Still, it would be a bug if icons
    >> can't be
    >> seen while dragging in the Windows Classic theme.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    >
    > I get the same result in Windows Classic - no icons while dragging.
    > Same with any of the high contrast themes.
    > Windows Basic works ok.
    >
    >


    Same here , no icons while dragging in Windows Classic theme

    len
     
    Len Hickman, Feb 7, 2010
    #9
  10. Ken Dibble

    Ken Dibble Guest

    >>>>>In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >>>>>until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    >>> difficult.
    >>>
    >>>>>In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >>>>>there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?
    >>>
    >>>>Interesting, I do not see the same behavior. What graphics card do you
    >>>>have, and have you updated the drivers? Also what theme are you using?
    >>>
    >>> The computer is at work so I can't look up the graphics card at the
    >>> moment.
    >>> However, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and it displays the default
    >>> desktop
    >>> theme properly.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using the Windows Classic theme; maybe that's it? I should test with
    >>> the
    >>> default theme and see what happens. Still, it would be a bug if icons
    >>> can't be
    >>> seen while dragging in the Windows Classic theme.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.

    >>
    >> I get the same result in Windows Classic - no icons while dragging.
    >> Same with any of the high contrast themes.
    >> Windows Basic works ok.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >Same here , no icons while dragging in Windows Classic theme


    Thanks. I'm trying to file a bug report with MS but their "MS
    Connection" registration system seems to be down.
     
    Ken Dibble, Feb 9, 2010
    #10
  11. You might check System Properties
    Advanced tab
    Performance settings button
    Visual effects Tab

    Michael

    "Ken Dibble" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >>>>>>In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappear
    >>>>>>until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning them
    >>>> difficult.
    >>>>
    >>>>>>In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. Is
    >>>>>>there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7?
    >>>>
    >>>>>Interesting, I do not see the same behavior. What graphics card do you
    >>>>>have, and have you updated the drivers? Also what theme are you using?
    >>>>
    >>>> The computer is at work so I can't look up the graphics card at the
    >>>> moment.
    >>>> However, I am running Windows 7 Ultimate and it displays the default
    >>>> desktop
    >>>> theme properly.
    >>>>
    >>>> I'm using the Windows Classic theme; maybe that's it? I should test
    >>>> with
    >>>> the
    >>>> default theme and see what happens. Still, it would be a bug if icons
    >>>> can't be
    >>>> seen while dragging in the Windows Classic theme.
    >>>>
    >>>> Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> I get the same result in Windows Classic - no icons while dragging.
    >>> Same with any of the high contrast themes.
    >>> Windows Basic works ok.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >>Same here , no icons while dragging in Windows Classic theme

    >
    > Thanks. I'm trying to file a bug report with MS but their "MS
    > Connection" registration system seems to be down.
     
    Michael Walraven, Feb 9, 2010
    #11
  12. Ken Dibble

    Ken Dibble Guest

    >You might check System Properties
    >Advanced tab
    >Performance settings button
    >Visual effects Tab


    As I said in my original post and in a follow-up post, these settings
    have no effect on the issue. In particular, "Show window contents
    while dragging" is on and has never been off; it has no effect. Two
    other posters here have observed and confirmed the behavior.

    I'm filing a bug report with MS today.
     
    Ken Dibble, Feb 11, 2010
    #12
  13. On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:35:00 -0500, Ken Dibble wrote:

    >>You might check System Properties
    >>Advanced tab
    >>Performance settings button
    >>Visual effects Tab

    >
    > As I said in my original post and in a follow-up post, these settings
    > have no effect on the issue. In particular, "Show window contents
    > while dragging" is on and has never been off; it has no effect. Two
    > other posters here have observed and confirmed the behavior.
    >
    > I'm filing a bug report with MS today.


    Sometimes, turning a feature off and then back on resolves an issue such as
    this.

    Since you say it has never been off, you might try that.

    Note: after turning the setting off, I would reboot before turning it back
    on.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
     
    Gene E. Bloch, Feb 11, 2010
    #13
  14. Ken Dibble

    Bob I Guest

    On 2/11/2010 8:35 AM, Ken Dibble wrote:
    >> You might check System Properties
    >> Advanced tab
    >> Performance settings button
    >> Visual effects Tab

    >
    > As I said in my original post and in a follow-up post, these settings
    > have no effect on the issue. In particular, "Show window contents
    > while dragging" is on and has never been off; it has no effect. Two
    > other posters here have observed and confirmed the behavior.
    >
    > I'm filing a bug report with MS today.


    Perhaps it's your display driver, as they show up just fine here while
    dragging
     
    Bob I, Feb 12, 2010
    #14
  15. Ken Dibble

    pjescani-sat Guest

    Ken Dibble wrote on 02/05/2010 10:27 ET
    > Hi All
    >
    > I haven't been able to find a message here that addresses this issue
    >
    > In Windows 7, when I drag icons around my desktop, they disappea
    > until I release the mouse button. This makes positioning the
    > difficult
    >
    > In Win 2000 and Win XP, desktop icons are visible when dragging. I
    > there a way to get this behavior back in Windows 7
    >
    > Please note, this is not a question about &quot;hiding icons&quot; nor am
    > saying my icons have permanently disappeared. Note also, this is onl
    > about DESKTOP icons
    >
    > The problem is that when clicking a desktop icon with the left mous
    > button, then holding the mouse button down and dragging the icon, th
    > icon becomes invisible, and remains invisible until I release th
    > mouse button. I can't precisely position an icon under thes
    > circumstances
    >
    > This problem is NOT solved by checking the &quot;Show window contents whil
    > dragging&quot; checkbox in the &quot;Performance Options&quot; tab. That bo
    > ha
    > always been checked on my system and it has no effect on visibility o
    > desktop icons when dragging
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >

    Activate Aero on display
     
    pjescani-sat, Nov 2, 2010
    #15
  16. Ken Dibble

    VanguardLH Guest

    pjescani-sat wrote:

    > Ken Dibble wrote on 02/05/2010 10:27 ET :

    <snipped the 9-month old post
    >
    > Activate Aero on display


    After 9 months, you really thought Ken still monitoring this ancient
    thread? Since NSPs delete really old posts beyond some retention
    interval, it may no longer be available to Ken.
     
    VanguardLH, Nov 2, 2010
    #16
  17. Ken Dibble

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I also Own three separate Windows 7 computers to which none of them show any Icon while dragging. I totally understand the original poster's complaint. It's so annoying because all my other XP machine don't have this problem. It's definitely a Win 7 problem.
     
    , Mar 22, 2013
    #17
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Similar Threads
  1. Mad Ad
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,073
    Roy Smith
    Mar 21, 2010
  2. DrNoyce

    Navigation Pane shows invisible items...

    DrNoyce, Mar 18, 2010, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,416
    DrNoyce
    Mar 18, 2010
  3. Joel Sanda

    Application icons for Taskbar "Small icons"

    Joel Sanda, Aug 19, 2010, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,959
    Roy Smith
    Aug 20, 2010
  4. illwill1114

    Kicked back to desktop while playing games

    illwill1114, Sep 4, 2010, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,373
    illwill1114
    Sep 4, 2010
  5. David

    Invisible files

    David, Jun 22, 2012, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    727
    David
    Jun 23, 2012
  6. lemel_man

    Window content while dragging.

    lemel_man, Feb 16, 2013, in forum: alt.windows7.general
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    512
    Dave-UK
    Feb 16, 2013
  7. FlyNAVY

    SOLVED Dragging open windows

    FlyNAVY, May 6, 2014, in forum: Windows 7 Support
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    484
    Shintaro
    May 6, 2014
  8. TimHJ
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    267
    TimHJ
    Nov 5, 2016
Loading...