SOLVED Dell Dimension 3000 & Windows 7

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

Today i upgraded my girlfriends dell dimension 3000 from windows xp to windows 7, all is fina apart from the screen resolution being stuck at 640x480, can someone please help before she kills me please

Regards

Dazzer

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The Dell Dimension 3000 is a SIX YEAR OLD desktop system. It uses Intel's 865G chipset which is no longer supported by Intel. There are no Windows 7 drivers available for that chipset.

The on-board video chip use the Intel Extreme Graphics 2 driver set, but Intel only did driver support up through Windows XP and no further.

Is it that chipset limiting the monitor's resolution? Did you try to right-click on the Desktop and and select "Screen Resolution"?

Have you gone to Windows Update and done all the hardware updates available?

Reaction score
Reaction score
Saved me HOURS of work.

My friend, I had spent many hours on this PC upgrade dealing with this resolution issue. Your fix was spot on. Thank you for posting your knowledge!

Go here http://support.dell.com/support/dow...abIndex=&scanSupported=True&scanConsent=False

download the 82865G graphics controller

extract the file to C:\dell\drivers\R106458

you will get a error message at first

go to the C:\dell\drivers\R106458 folder and locate the "setup" file

right click and select properties

click the compatibility tab and change settings to XP sp3

this should work

Reaction score
You the MAN

BROTRON
I'm in the process of upgrading 5 DELL Dimension 3000's to Windows 7 Pro for a CPA. Everything was going well till I got to the graphics issue, try as I might nobody seems to have the fix for this issue, even Intel. Forget Dell. This is why I LOVE the internet, you can find a fix for just about anything. I've only been working on computers for the last 18 years, and I'm still learning. Codo's to you my friend, (Yes It Works, IT REALLY, REALLY WORKS) Like I said:

YOU THE MAN........

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm a computer tech, i've been working with computers for the past 15 years, i know 8 programing languages, ccna certified, web developer, but this issue was literally eating me alive, THANK YOU SO MUCH, what you wrote worked, like Broton said, i'm learning every day.

Originally Posted by Brotron
Go here http://support.dell.com/support/down...nConsent=False

download the 82865G graphics controller

extract the file to C:\dell\drivers\R106458

you will get a error message at first

go to the C:\dell\drivers\R106458 folder and locate the "setup" file

right click and select properties

click the compatibility tab and change settings to XP sp3

this should work

Reaction score
Thank you

I bought an NVidia GeForce graphics card to solve this very problem. While it did solve the resolution issue I was frequently getting 'signal out of range' errors and had to force reboot my PC often. Not happy.

This solution did the trick so thank you Brotron.

An added bonus is that the system is much quieter as the fan is not working as hard with the extra graphics card

Alex

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks but it wasn't what i was looking for

i am not a tech (not yet) but i would call myself very handy with computers, the point is, even i came up with this crazy idea of the compatibility mode, but it solved only the resolution issue (it is not a full functional driver :( ) so i would't be able to use all the features (like aero and that kind of stuff, and most of stuff doesn't run (the stuff that requires graffics) like 3d stuff....etc, I've also tried an ATI driver that worked fine and said "success" in the log and that stuff at the end (without the need of the compatibility mode glitch) but it did almost the same result, what i want to say, i am just a regular 15 yr old kid, if I've figured out this much on my own i guess you guys who are actual techs,(the ones that actually are) can come up with something better PLEASE by the way i am using windows 7 home premium 32 bits X86 and had no other issue than the graphics driver ( i am using the factory hardware from the dimension 3000 except an extra ram gb, which obviously doesn't affect negatively the performance) and, yes, i am writing now on the dimension 3000 i am talking about

PLEASE, if someone can come up with something better email me to elanimal1234 (@) yahoo.com (dont ask how i came up with the username, and most of all NO SPAMMING PLEASE)

Reaction score
Thought I couldn't do it.....Cant wait to try this!

My boss asked me if i could upgrade the oldest dinosaur in the office to 7 i.e. a Dimension 3000 read a whole bunch of blogs saying that the video chip wouldnt work. TILL i saw this!!! Hope it works, waiting for the RAM to come in so i can proceed!

Reaction score
BROTRON
I'm in the process of upgrading 5 DELL Dimension 3000's to Windows 7 Pro for a CPA. Everything was going well till I got to the graphics issue, try as I might nobody seems to have the fix for this issue, even Intel. Forget Dell. This is why I LOVE the internet, you can find a fix for just about anything. I've only been working on computers for the last 18 years, and I'm still learning. Codo's to you my friend, (Yes It Works, IT REALLY, REALLY WORKS) Like I said:

YOU THE MAN........
As it happens, I love my DELL Dimension 3000 -- Mainly because it hasn't failed me yet (thank G:cool:D!). As I'm a tech myself I say congrats and kudos for a job well done. Now, although I am rather partial to Windows XP -- evolution demands that I upgrade or miss out on future upgrades and developments and, while I don't want to wipe my XP partition I certainly can always buy a new and bigger hard drive and test it out. Thanks a million for the R&D :D

Now, is upgrading the Slic still necessary? because that's where I am am at this point in my endeavor.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another thing you can try to get the resolution up on an old dinosaur of a computer is the next time you boot up, get into the BIOS setup. See if there is a selection for how much memory space is alloted for video.

The old Dell I had was limited to 1MB, but there was one other selection for 8MB.
Once I made that selection, and then got into Windows 7, the higher resolution selections became available. I didn't have to hunt down any special drivers at all.

Reaction score
i am not a tech (not yet) but i would call myself very handy with computers, the point is, even i came up with this crazy idea of the compatibility mode, but it solved only the resolution issue (it is not a full functional driver :( ) so i would't be able to use all the features (like aero and that kind of stuff, and most of stuff doesn't run (the stuff that requires graffics) like 3d stuff....etc, I've also tried an ATI driver that worked fine and said "success" in the log and that stuff at the end (without the need of the compatibility mode glitch) but it did almost the same result, what i want to say, i am just a regular 15 yr old kid, if I've figured out this much on my own i guess you guys who are actual techs,(the ones that actually are) can come up with something better PLEASE by the way i am using windows 7 home premium 32 bits X86 and had no other issue than the graphics driver ( i am using the factory hardware from the dimension 3000 except an extra ram gb, which obviously doesn't affect negatively the performance) and, yes, i am writing now on the dimension 3000 i am talking about

PLEASE, if someone can come up with something better email me to elanimal1234 (@) yahoo.com (dont ask how i came up with the username, and most of all NO SPAMMING PLEASE)
I just used an older PCI Graphic's Card & all was well. They still sell them for about $30.00 online. I'm going to buy another one for a small business upgrade so they have a backup computer.
P.S. The same goes for the Dell Dimension 2400. It's the same mainboard & BIOS I believe. So anyone with either can do what I did.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i just like to say thanks to Brotron.

it really work perfect with my Dell Dimension 3000. .and im happily using it right now. .

i appreciate your help.

Ask a Question