Delete TEMP file?

Reaction score
Hello,
Currently trying to tidy and toss some stuff on my W7 Computer.
I find a file called c>Saved Data>Temp. It has a bunch of coded things in it and comes to 38 MB. I read you can delete most Temp files but I am unsure.

I think this was from the guy who set up my computer way back when I had a collosil failure.

Can I safely delete this do you think?
Thank you.

Attachments

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Best move it somewhere, for starters. If nothing seems to have gone awry, delete it. Don't follow my practise but, an a monthly schedule, I delete everything on my computer marked temp
And FWIW and with the utmost caution!!"!
I have, periodically, deleted all those items in that data. Do the same again - move them and see what happens.

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can delete any temp file, but doing so my cause problems with your "current" session - fixed by a simple reboot.

That said, I don't recommend simply deleting temp files and/or folders as you come across them, better to use a cleanup program - and Windows has an excellent one built in: Windows 7 Disk Cleanup (scroll down for text instructions).

If you really want to be aggressive at cleaning temp files, you can use, TFC by Oldtimer.

A trick I've been using for over 20 years when I am unsure about deleting a file or folder is to simply rename it and see what happens. If something breaks, I can simply rename it back. If nothing breaks after a couple weeks, I delete it.

Just rename it so you know what the original name was. I append the date and the word delete at the end of the file or folder name so I know how long ago it was renamed, and so the original name is still there - I don't have to remember it.

Reaction score
All excellent suggestions I will try. Thanks very much.
Patti

Reaction score
Thanks DaveHC, I did that and so far so good:)

""Best move it somewhere, for starters. If nothing seems to have gone awry, delete it. Don't follow my practise but, an a monthly schedule, I delete everything on my computer marked temp
And FWIW and with the utmost caution!!"!
I have, periodically, deleted all those items in that data. Do the same again - move them and see what happens. ""

Ask a Question