CPU not supported

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new in this forum. I'm trying to install 64bit on my XPS M1730 (T7700 processor) as a Guest machine under VMWare but getting this (please see attached image)

Has anyone installed 64bit under VMWare yet ?

Regards,
BH

Attachments

Reaction score
Installing a 64-bit O/S onto a system is not the same as being able to run a 64-bit VM. I have a Dell PE1850 that has a Xeon processor in it (with an 800 MHz FSB) that is a 64-bit processor. I can install the 64-bit version of Windows, but I cannot run 64-bit VMs on it because the chip does not have VT. Your processor MUST have VT capability and have it enabled in order to run 64-bit VMs

found this here http://communities.vmware.com/message/1030203

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - I 'm running latest BIOS from Dell (A10) and few other things. Probably something to do with VT. I've got no problem with Win7RC 32bit as a Guest machine.

Regards,
BH

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Sounds like a problem with the virtual machine software to me, that CPU does support EM64T. Are you sure you are using a 64bit capable version of VMware, and that you also created a 64bit virtual machine environment before installing the 64bit OS? That's all I can think of.

I run W7 as 64bit-natively, and have had no trouble running the 64-bit of Ubuntu inside it using VMware server.

Reaction score

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Glad you got that all sorted out, I love to see problems solved here. Also, welcome to Le Forums! :ciao:

Reaction score
Hi all,

Many thanks for your suggestions - The Dell XPS M1730 laptops have VT off as default, users can turn it on from

POST Behavior -> Virtualization

And bingo, I now have Win7RC 64bit as my third Guest under Vista host.

BH

Reaction score
Thanks for posting back with the fix to your problem - Now everyone else might can save alittle time with theirs

Ask a Question