SOLVED Corsair H80 help needed.

Reaction score
I've got a Corsair Hydro Series H80 arriving Tuesday. Here's Corsair's link for it. http://www.corsair.com/cpu-cooling-...s-h80-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler.html Anyway checking out various online reviews, I've found that it's better to change one or both of the 2 fan's orientation to keep the insides of the pc cooler. My question is this: Which fan do I flip over ? All these site's fail to mention that and just use the term push-pull Does the outer fan that's up against my case get flipped over ? Or does the inner fan that's not physically touching the case get flipped over ? Or do both fan's get flipped over ? By flipped over, I mean physically changing them from the orientation Corsair had them in when I open the H80's box up.

Reaction score
The term push-pull refers to two fans on the heatsink. One pushes air and the other pulls air. The area around the CPU is a hot spot, so naturally you would want the fans on the case around the CPU to be blowing the air out of the case. You would also want both the push-pull fans blowing toward one of the case fans.

In your case with the H80, the radiator would mount to the case with the push-pull setup blowing air out of the case.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
In a push-pull fan configuration, there is a fan on each side of the radiator. One fan to push the air through and the other fan pull the air through the radiator.

Example:

Reaction score
Here's what I meant. In this review, it says he changed the orientation of the fans, so the hot air was exiting the case instead of staying in the case. Here's a link to the review: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_hydro_h80/ . That's where my question come's in: Do I revers both fans or 1 fan ? If only 1 fan, which one ? They alway's fail to mention that one. P.S. Everyone's out of my video card, so Crossfire has to wait until Jan-Feb. Then pc is fully done> For now anyway.

Reaction score
When run in the default fan orientation of pushing air into the chassis, the Hydro Series H80 pushed all the thermal load into the chassis, driving up component temperatures significantly — even in my well-ventilated CM HAF 932 and the Corsair 600T. This cooling benefit for the CPU can't be overstated, but by changing the fan orientation to blow air out of the chassis, I saw only a one degree cooling penalty that is worth the reversal of the fans to a push-out orientation, in my opinion
They were referring to the default direction the fans push the air. They said by default the fans would be putting the hot air inside the case.

Basically what they are saying is to make sure both the push and pull fans are blowing air out of the case for best results.

Honestly, I don't understand why the fans would be blowing air in the case by default but that is what they are saying.

Reaction score
That depends on which direction they are blowing air.

You may want to check and see what direction they are blowing by default. Your fans by default maybe turned differently than the ones in the review.

Reaction score
Yeah, I was figuring on putting the fan that physically touches the case in the same direction as the case fan I have to remove to put the H80 in.

Reaction score
Quite pleased with the H80. Left fans at default orientation. Have the 3 speed controller on the H80 at the middle setting for fan speeds. Fans are a little too loud. CPU reading 25 degrees celcius, motherboard temp 31 degrees celciusm gpu te 48 degrees celcius and hard drives temps for Caviar Black's at at 45 and 40 celcius @dle.

Last edited:

Ask a Question