Copying from external HD or network folders

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am new here and new to Windows 7 which I installed on the weekend in order to run my media through the Win7 MC.

I ran into a problem when I try to copy from external HD (USB external drives) or shared network folder.

Every time I try to copy something, and it doesn’t matter how I do it whether it is CTRL+C or right click and then Copy, Windows Explorer crashes.

This is very annoying since I have to then switch to Vista (dual boot) and do it from there.

Is this a known problem?
Are there any workarounds or solutions to this?

Regards
Danny

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Danny

Have you checked Device Manager for Yellow "!" or "?" on the USB Systems ?

Click the Start button to view the Start Menu and then choose the Control Panel then click the System and Security then you will see the direct link for the Device Manager

Click the + on your left to open and check

Reaction score
I'm not sure about a solution to fixing Windows Explorer. You could try a third party file manager.

I hated Windows Explorer when it came out in Windows 95 and searched for a file manager that worked the way Windows 3.11 worked with two windows side by side. I found Windows Commander now known as Total Commander. I have been happily using Total Commander for 15 years without any problems or bugs. I purchased for a little of nothing and was sent a file that is the registration key. I have been updating to newer versions with the same key.

Reaction score
Out of interest, why do you not like Windows Explorer? I don't see anything wrong with it, it looks neat, and it is quick and easy to use.

Reaction score
Lets just say I will never like having to set two different locations through one directory tree

With the side by side window, setting two locations is much easier. Drag and drop from one location to the other. And you can see the file list in both folders as you work. The only way to do this with Explorer is open two instances of Explorer. That is to much trouble when you can do it in one program which Windows dropped in Win95.

Reaction score
Hi

It is not the USB port that crashes Windows Explorer. When I connect Disk on Key I can copy from that, but when I connect the external HD (LaCie 750GB) and I try to copy from the HD then Explorer crashes.

This is however also happens from a shared folder, when I try to copy from there, again, crashes Explorer.

BTW Im using Windows 7 release 7100. Is there a newer release than that?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Well Windows 7 Release Date is 22nd October 2009 not long to go M8 :)

Ask a Question