Contacts in Windows Live Mail

Reaction score
I had to reinstall Windows 7, and I've been slogging through all my various driver/program updates and reinstalls needed to get things back to "normal". So far, so good, but I'm having no luck with my e-mail addresses/contacts.

I had not enabled my account with Windows Live online prior to the reinstall, so the online backup is not an option.

I did back up a ton of pre-install data/files to an external hard drive, however, if only I could find the magic key that will summon forth my contacts out of my old Windows Live Mail config for use in the new one.

Is there any hope?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Easiest way, as you state you have not enabled the on line storage, is to drag and drop the contents of the saved contacts folder, to users - username - contacts

Reaction score
Well, two problems:

1) Although I did not enable the online storage prior to the reinstall, it is now enabled. (But there are no contacts there, as it doesn't "remember the contacts from before.)

2) I've tried copying folders/files from before the reinstall into the current scheme with no luck. For example, I've copied the old "Windows Live Contacts" folder into the current C:\Users\{my name}\AppData\Local\Microsoft location with no success.

Can you give me more specific info on how to copy the data out of my old config?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You state you have tried to copyd the folder.? Instead, drag and drop only the contents of the dbstore

Reaction score
The C:\Users\...\DBStore location actually already contained the same 4 files as my backup (due to the previous folder copy), but I went ahead and copied the backup files and replaced them. No luck, though -- still no contacts.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It has to be on the extertnal, somewhere. See if you can find a "Program Files" folder,. If succesful, look for "Windows Live" and then "Contacts"
You could also try a general search for "contacts" or even one of the contacts names, and see what pops up.

Reaction score
I can't be sure -- I can't open/read the file -- but the "contacts.edb" file that I copied into the C:\Users\...\DBStore folder may well be the right one. It's over 4MB and predates the reinstall. But if it is the right file, WinLiveMail still isn't using/reading it properly.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try and copy it into this one
C:\Users\usernameAppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{ab077f8a-8482-47ba-b7f6-6e088299b553}\DBStore

Reaction score
I wish I could help but I've moved my storage location, out of the OS partition. It's easier to restore the OS if you don't have to worry about your Email storage folder.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I moved my storage location too, and I've noticed a huge difference in overall stability of my OS. Having data on it's own partition helps a lot, especially with fragmentation. It was impossible, even with one of the best tools on the market (Perfect Disk Pro), to keep my "C" drive defragged to an accepted level. Mainly due to running multiple VM's on the partition.

That email storage folder was a PITA to keep in order. As I recall, it was a component of Windows Live that caused multiple folders to be created, and I had them too.

After trashing Windows Live, I had no more issues with folders being created.

As far as the OP's question goes, Paragon has a tool that claims to be able to enter a backup image and get what you need. It's a free version of Paragon Backup that has other functions. I downloaded it a couple of days ago and haven't installed it yet. It's called Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 (Advanced) Free.

http://www.paragon-software.com/free/

It may be worth a shot, if everything else fails.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
reopened a redundant thread here, I think?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I hope not, those were not my intents. But there are tools available to dig through backups (and possibly nearly shot HDD's) to fish for what you need. Hopefully, the OP won't have to resort to the these more advanced methods to retrieve the necessary data to restore the files in question.

It was just that the mention of Windows Live brought back memories of frustrating times.

Cat

Ask a Question