Constant crashing with Blue screen

Reaction score
Hey. I have computer that has been crashing almost since I got it. My previous computer crashed, which led me to think it was a peripheral device causing it, but I haven't been able to locate the device even though I have gone through many processes of deduction. I am also not an expert in computers and it may be just a coincidence.

Often the computer crashes and shows the blue screen with a message that is not consistent. Often it is when I am watching a film or when I try to uninstall a program - but it has happened at other times also.

I have updated my bios, graphic cards, and changed my anti virus programme, used a number of different keyboards and mice.

Operating system is Windows 7
Mother Board: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66GHz

I have attached windows minidump folder.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment Windows Minidump.zip

Micheál

Reaction score
Hey...I see lots of things wrong so let's get on to fixing them. I'll start with the most important and work down...

1) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and delete mssmbios.sys

2) Navigate to C:\Windows\SysWow64\drivers and delete AsIO.sys

3) Uninstall your EZB Systems ancient driver and/or related software:
Code:
ISODrv64 ISODrv64.sys Fri Nov 02 23:21:18 2007
http://www.runscanner.net/lib/isodrv64.sys.html

Then reboot and run CCleaner to clean the registry of all the above.

4) Update you Microsoft mouse driver:
Code:
point64k point64k.sys Fri May 08 04:53:29 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=MK&type=Mouse&sku=BSA-00001

5) There's a new video card driver available:
Code:
atikmdag atikmdag.sys Tue Jul 06 21:37:28 2010
Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

6) Update your RIM Modem drivers:
Code:
 RimSerial_AMD64 RimSerial_AMD64.sys Mon Nov 24 12:01:01 2008
7) If you still experience bsods, uninstall AVG in safe mode using the tools found here:

AV Uninstallers - Windows 7 Forums

Reboot and install MSE to replace.

Reaction score
Hey,

I successfully deleted mssmbios.sys and ASio.sys. (1)(2)

I cannot find the EZB driver (3), and I'm unsure how to go directly to a driver and uninstall it (other than Device MAnager, and I can't find EZB driver there. It seems as if it is related to UltraISO software, which I can remove.

I installed the latest software for the mouse. (4)

With regard to the graphics card driver, the link you sent me was broken, so I went to this page: http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon-win7-64.aspx and installed:
Catalyst Software Suite (64 bit) English Only 74.2mb 10.8 8/25/2010 (5)

I also went to device manager and updated "Display adapters"

I uninstalled "RIM" (6) software that pertained to my blackberry. I presume the driver for this is also deleted?

I restarted my computer, and I got two warnings saying "Can't open ASio.sys."
Is that usual?

Thanks for your time and help thus far.

Micheál

Reaction score
Yep, the warning is normal and good. To get rid of it, uninstall the motherboard utilities from ASUS such as EasyTune or EnergySaver etc....

You could use msconfig or Regedit to disable or delete the startup entry(ies) in relation to that, if you can't figure out which ASUS apps to uninstall.

If you have further crashes, pleas post the crash dumps and I'll see what's going on now.

Other than that, good luck and enjoy.

-----

Yes, uninstall UltraISO. You can then install PowerISO. The drive emulation part is free forever:

http://www.PowerISO.com

Reaction score
You have been ever so helpful thus far, however, I am unable to follow clearly your last instruction. You gave me two options. I have no clue how to implement the first option (uninstalling motherboard utilities), and the second one, I went into "cmd promt" typed in msconfig and went to startup option, but was unable to locate applications associated with ASUS or ASio.

If you can direct me a little further it would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Micheál

Reaction score
I'll tell ya what...it's probably a service or something starting then. I don't own or use ASUS boards, although they are great and I should lol.

Let the computer do it's thing for a few more hours and let me know if there are any further bsods or not.

While posting, you can attach the system info. Type msconfig in the start menu then press enter. File | save on the screen that opens. Zip the saved file then attach.

This way, we can get rid of the error screen at boot.

Reaction score
Hey. No crashes yet. Sometimes it would go two days without crashing, and sometimes it's three times a day. Here's hoping.

When I type in "msconfig" a popup window emerges with five options:
General/Boot/Services/Startup/Tools

There is no option to go to File and save. Apologies if I am being myopic.

Appreciating your continuing support.

Micheál

Reaction score
Ah yeah, I meant to type msinfo32 instead.

Good to hear it, so far.

Reaction score
I see what you can do.

Download/install Autoruns. Find asio.sys service and delete it. Reboot to test.

Reaction score
Hey. I downloaded it. I found ASio and deleted it, but couldn't find asio.sys. I rebooted and the pop up boxes were still there.

Micheál

Reaction score
Update your VIA Audio driver:

Code:
viahduaa viahduaa.sys Thu May 07 23:24:59 2009
You can check the device manager for which download type you need to search for at the following link:

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

----

And AVG hasn't been removed and replaced yet as previously advised.

Reaction score
Hey. On the above site, I am given five options. I'm unsure which to choose.

I went to device manager, Right clicked VIA, went to properties but under "driver" it just says "VIA High Definition Audio" and under details (and all the sub categories) it says the same (or something impertinent). I need to find a number with a VT prefix in order to download the right download.

I've been on the Asus website trying to find a corresponding audio full name, but have been unsuccsessful.

Any thoughts?

Micheál

Reaction score
Look in your motherboard manual for the chipset it uses.
Or see which one it says on ASUS' site. Then download from VIA.

Reaction score
All done. No Malware or infections found. Not sure why AVG might be the problem, but it's uninstalled and here's hoping.

Thanks,

Micheál

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You should not run without antivirus protection though, so once you uninstalled AVG you should install Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE is not known to cause the system slowdowns and BSOD commonly associated with AVG, and it is free from Microsoft.

Ask a Question