Computer when put into sleep, ends up shutting off instead

Reaction score
Windows 7 professional 64 bit , i put my computer to sleep and it take about 1-2 min then my computer shuts off completely and i have to turn it on by pressing the power button, and windows starts and says windows did not shut down properly, restart normally or safe mode , command prompt, why doesnt my comp goto sleep?
My computer always went to sleep before just started with this problem today!
Ive restarted it multiple times
Checked power option settings
Sfc /scannow
Scanned my hard drives
Reinstalled video drivers
Anyone please help, i hate shutting it down every time
Computer when put into sleep, ends up shutting off instead

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make sure you have the latest BIOS installed because ACPI is a common BIOS change.

It's also quite possible the problem is that the hard drive doesn't like being put to sleep or possibly is being put in hybrid selep and really can't handle it. Go to Control panel > Power Options and go to advance power settings. Try not allowing hybrid sleep on the hard drive (if your computer doesn't support it then hybrid won't be in the list at all so move on). If that doesn't help try not allowing the hard drive to sleep.

Reaction score
Do i have to check that even tho my computer was sleeping fine before? Tis is all of a sudden!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well you could scan for viruses with something like Windows Defender Offline.

And you could check for recent driver updates, for example check last weeks System Updates and see if any "recommended updates" were installed that were for your hardware. If so, back out that/those drivers with control panel>device manager and see if things return to normal. If that works then you will need to go to Windows Updates and hide that update or it will be installed again.

Reaction score
No recommended update were installed and i ran a full virus scan yesterday, and malware scan

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Something has changed so you need to look at anything that could be: driver updates, new services, registry changes, programs, viruses, BIOS.

If you know when the trouble started you can try a System Restore to a restore point prior to the issue.

If you have a W7 Installation DVD you could boot to that and try a "System Repair" from the install menu; there is a small chance that would help.

The latest BIOS is recommended.

You could try the Power Options I mentioned to see if it has any effect; you can always change them back.

You could try a complete reinstall.

... Those are the best suggestions I can think of.

Ask a Question