Computer not shutting down properly

Reaction score
I have a dual boot computer running Vista Ultimate and Windows 7 RC.
ASUS P5QL-E
Intel Q9650
4 GB DDR2 1066

I recently built a new computer for my wife and loaded it with just Windows 7 RC pending delivery of the full retail version in October.
ASUS P5KC
Intel Q6600
2 GB DDR2 800

Both computers have a similar problem. Sometimes - but not always - after shutting down the computer using the Start>Shut Down button it appears to shut down but has actually gone into a deep sleep with a blank black monitor and will not wake up no matter what keyboard buttons you press. It will also not reboot when you hit the computer power button.

The only way you can switch the computer off is to hold the computer power button down for about 10 seconds - then press it again for a normal reboot.

Both machines are the same - her's more often than mine....(But mine is OK when I use Vista)

I'm a bit baffled

Reaction score
Hi AlanHo - Welcome to w7forums :ciao:

Do you have the most recent windows 7 build? 7600 is the most recent. 7229 is the build I am currently using.

Are you sure you have a copy of Windows 7 downloaded that has not been tampered with. There is a MD5 Checker that you can use to check your download. This is always a good thing to do when downloading files from the internet if your download has a MD5 hash code.

Are you sure you got a good DVD burn. There is always a chance of burning a bad copy especially if you burn at the max speed.

Reaction score
My version is 7100 - downloaded from the Microsoft site.

I have done two ISO burns - one for each machine. Not sure what you mean by MD5 checker, where you get it from or how it is used.

I have seen threads where Windows 7 freezes on computers with some ASUS mobos. Both our computers have ASUS mobos but run Windows 7 fine. THey do not freeze during normal use. The problem is intermittent and only on shut-down.

Reaction score
MD5 Checker 2.31 - 18th February 2007. Utility to verify downloads with an MD5 checksum from the makers of MidWavi Pro (it's only 100K and this is a true Windows program). Tiny (100K unzipped) full Windows program to verify (and create) MD5 checksums (that is, where an MD5 code is given for a download file, using this software, if the codes match, the download is good). You can also create your own MD5 checksum if required.
Read more and download here - MD5 Checker 2.31

Windows 7 RC Build 7100 x86
File Name: 7100.0.090421-1700_x86fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD.iso
Size: 2.35GB
MD5 Hash: 8867C13330F56A93944BCD46DCD73590

Windows 7 RC Build 7100 x64
File Name: 7100.0.090421-1700_x64fre_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-GRC1CULFRER_EN_DVD.iso
Size: 3.04GB
MD5 Hash: 98341AF35655137966E382C4FEAA282D
Read more here - Windows 7 RC x86 and x64 ISO Installer Image (Version 7100)

Edit:
Your version is a older version and this problem you are having could have been fixed in the RTM.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

I have downloaded and run MD5 and all is correct.

I have the final version of Windows 7 pre-ordered for both computers. Hopefully all will be OK in October.

Reaction score
Someone from another forum has suggested the following solution. I have applied it to both computers and will monitor them over the next couple of weeks to verify whether it has worked................

Go to control panel/Power options whatever plan has been selected click on change plan settings,then click on change advanced power settings, when the power options window opens select power button and lid ,power button action (in blue) click on this and use the drop down to select shut down , finally click on apply and your done . its the same system as Vista uses.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back Alan, I hope that does the trick for you :)

I've got a similar setup to your two PCs, with an Asus P5K, Q6600 and 4GB Ram and my system is fine with the RTM.

Reaction score
Finally, i was facing this trouble a couple of weeks ago, and nothing i tryied work, until now, i can understand why this in not fixed if the people is facing this since 2009. Six years are pased.

Ask a Question