Computer frozen on chkdsk message

Reaction score
When my computer boots up it shows a message "checking file system on C:" The countdown starts and stops at 1. At this point the computer freezes. The keyboard becomes inoperable and the screen continues to display the message. There is no indication that the computer is doing anything at all. I can not turn the computer off. I removed the battery and then replaced it, turned the computer on again and the results are the same.
Can anyone help me with this?

Reaction score
You mentioned removing the battery so I assume you have a laptop. Do you have a recovery disk with it? Or better yet the original O/S installation disk? Is sounds to me as if your HDD has corrupted files. How old is your computer? It could be the HDD driving is old and dying.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
ddubya, welcome to the forum! I don't know the brand of your notebook, but the Dell Latitude D610 that I used to have (my first one, not the one that I have now), done the same thing that you're mentioning. It sounds like the drive is shot. There could be other problems too, that led to this. Does your notebook run hot?

What you can do to try to keep it going for a little is running the command "chkdsk /r". This will take a while to run, but will attempt to get your file system back in order. I don't even know the brand of your notebook, or whatever other problems you may be having, without knowing if you're having other problems, I'm not yet ready to suggest that you buy another drive. I don't want to see anyone out of their money.

If you can, please post back with some more information, such as the brand & model of your notebook, and any other symptoms it may be having, including heat issues. The more details, the better we can offer suggestions for you.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Cat, he cannot boot, he's getting freezes before the O/S loads so I don't think he can run the command.
Try hitting the F8 key as your booting, if your lucky it will bring up a window giving you a few options to start the O/S.. Try first to see if you can get it to load in safe mode.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ddubya, this won't solve your problem but you may need it while looking for a fix. You indicated your laptop would not shut off. Most computers have a hard off - if you press AND HOLD the power switch for 6-10seconds it should shut off (but this is for emergencies as it does not allow programs to close properly)

If you made a system repair disk I suggest you boot up with the repair disk (your BIOS must be set to have the DVD boot before the harrdrive for this to work. Your boot-up may even offer an option to hit a key (for example F10) to temporarily change the boot order. If you are then able to get to a command prompt, run the chkdsk /r

Ask a Question