Computer freezes using ctrl+alt+delete as well as when loading games

Reaction score
Hello, I have a problem, my computer decides to freeze up when I press ctrl+alt+delete, then it comes back and I pick task manager, and it takes like 15-20 seconds to load that up.
And ontop of that, when I load games, starting them up takes forever, like 20-25 seconds to load up Super Meat boy, but after the beggining loads, it runs fine.

Also, sometimes when I restart my computer, this doesn't happen, and then other times it does, any idea what this is? Or better how to fix it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make/model of your machine / CPU / mother board / amount of RAM would be helpful information. It's quite possible your machine is just old & slow.

Also the standard things; make sure your BIOS & drivers are up-to-date, remove unneeded processes from your start-up (adobe pre-loaders etc).

How many applications are you trying to run simultaneously?

Reaction score
Make/model of your machine / CPU / mother board / amount of RAM would be helpful information. It's quite possible your machine is just old & slow.

Also the standard things; make sure your BIOS & drivers are up-to-date, remove unneeded processes from your start-up (adobe pre-loaders etc).

How many applications are you trying to run simultaneously?

Okay, I honestly Have no idea how to find all of that =p

But model I guess, Dell xps 9000

I know My RAM is 10 gigs

video card is a nvidia gefore gtx 260

Where might I find other specs?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's fine on your specs.

How many windows (programs) are you running at the same time when it freezes? Is it always the same programs that load slowly or freeze up the system or is it any and all of them?

Reaction score
That's fine on your specs.

How many windows (programs) are you running at the same time when it freezes? Is it always the same programs that load slowly or freeze up the system or is it any and all of them?
It's games, like my steam games, and whatnot, along with control + alt + delete, I can close all open programs, and then load a game, such as mabinogi, or super meat boy.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you overclocked your GTX260? If so please set it back to factory specs.

There is a brand new driver for the GTX260 dated 4 days ago, I would start by installing that.

What anti-virus are you using? Try turning it off before you start the game and see if it loads faster.

Reaction score
Welll, it's only been doing it recently, so I don't think my firewall or anything was blocking it, like sometimes I restart my computer and it goes away, and other times it's there, And yeah, I updated my driver.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What anti-virus software do you use? It's always a good idea to disable and even remove it to see if it is causing the freezing issues.

You might also right-click on your game executables and under compatibility choose "run as administrator" - that can be an issue sometimes though I doubt it would in your freezing case.

You mention ctrl+alt+del but the fact is most people don't hit that until they already suspect a problem so by then your CPU could already be bogged down and it simply takes a long time till the ctrl+alt+del gets into the processor..

Ask a Question