Compatibility with Timberline and Expedition

Reaction score
Someone here has to be in IT for a construction company, if so you may recognize the two products listed in the header, Timberline and Expedition construction management software, of course none of these guys ever buy new editions, or have "borrowed" it from someone else.
Anyway, I have a customer using older 32 bit versions of these two pieces of software. (actually neither product probably has a 64 bit version, I have not checked, but even if they do I doubt the customer would buy it when what they have does the job).

With that said is it even worth the upgrade to Windows 7 if you are using the 32 bit version? or should I just go with old reliable XP? The reason I ask is I need to get these people new notebooks, and am probably going with Dell, I can get the "Windows 7 with XP downgrade" and then I will have XP and a 32 bit version of Windows 7 I can install at a later date. again with Windows 7 being 32 bit I am assuming these old apps will run on it, but there is no benefit of anything over about 3 gig of RAM and all that....I really wish I could have the best of both worlds, 64 bit OS, with a 32 bit mode?? Does that exist? Seems to me i saw something like that somewhere....Then I could have all the hardware advantages, and still run old 32 bit apps.
Opinions? PLEASE?
TIA
Bitsbucket

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forums!

Ok, so firstly, I personnaly think going Windows 7 is definitly better than XP, whichever the version.
It realy is worth it.

I am in the group of people who hate Dell, so if your going that way, I don't advise you anything in particular.

For the apps, there should be no problem, and if there were, you could always use the apps in compatibility mode for Windows XP.

If you have Windows 7 64bit, nearly all 32bit apps should work. If not, you could use Microsoft XP Mode, which virtualy runs Windows XP 32bit, and thus solving most problems. Though this features is only available in Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate.

Hope this helps,
Fire Cat

Reaction score
Got any recommendations for good notebooks in the 1500.00 apiece range? I was going with Dell because that is what they have now and I have used alot of Dell equipment, but I am by no means married to them.
Thanks
Bitsbucket

Reaction score
I agree with Fire Cat. XP Mode is available for Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate, but not on the Home Premium version. So yes, Windows 7 64 bit does have such a capability. In fact, it's possible you might be able to run your software on W7 64 bit anyway, even without the XP mode, but the XP Mode would give you a little more insurance.

And yes, in my opinion Windows 7 is worth it, whether it's in 32 or 64. I'm typing right now on a Windows 7 32 bit set up, and I just ordered a computer that's coming with 64 bit, so I'll have both versions running and Windows 7 is worth it in my opinion. I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got any recommendations for good notebooks in the 1500.00 apiece range? I was going with Dell because that is what they have now and I have used alot of Dell equipment, but I am by no means married to them.
Thanks
Bitsbucket
bits my oldest son has always had HP laptops but he recently switched over to Sony. He says he was extremely impressed with Sony's "tech support". :call2: He uses his computers for business and a lot of business software, etc and he needed help getting set up.
Bottom line was, he was so impressed that he swears by Sony now.

That was his experience. I've never had Sony so I can't speak 1st hand. I have no connections with Sony, and personally I run an HP desktop so I have no dogs in this fight. Just passing on what I was told. :listen:

Let us know what you decide bits.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
First, windows 7 - 64 bit should also run 32 bit apps but it will NOT run 16bit apps (except in Virtual XP mode). Win 7 - 32 bit will run 32 or 16 bit apps but not 64bit.

Your biggest concern with upgrading will be in finding drivers for older hardware - printers, trackballs, etc and the drivers may exist in 32bit but not 64.

Two things that can help (but these are not perfect) are the compatibility center ...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx
I searched Timberline and Expedition and found no matches.

And the Upgrade Advisor ...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/upgrade-advisor.aspx
You might try installing this on a laptop they currently use - this may tell you some hardware issues like not enough mem but you don't care about that if you are getting new equipment but you might look for software issues.

Unfortunately the more obscure/ancient the equipment/software the less likely someone has added it into these tools. The compatibility center has a feedback section where the user can recommend an addition but not being there is not the same as a green light.

Also worth mentioning since you are ordering new equipment. Many companies ship with less than the recommended memory. For Win 7 64bit 3GB is recommended (and technically it is closer to 3.25), Win7 32bit 2GB is recommended.

I personally normally recommend 64bit but if 32bit is more compatible with their existing software, well win 7 32bit is still better than XP 32bit. However if it absolutely will not run on Win 7 even on a 32bit machine I doubt they will be happy using Virtual XP under Win 7 for everyday applications. Best recommendation is get one laptop and test it.

I don't think Dell is any better or worse than HP. I would say for construction people don't get those paperthin macs that bend if you push your fingernail into em too hard (ok this may be an exageration).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Thanks
Bitsbucket

As DallasDad said Sony makes very good laptops, so does Toshiba, Asus, Acer and Lenovo.

These are the "top-rated" laptops out there these days.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I swear by Samsung Products, so I don't think my advice would be very good.
Though, I still recomment Acer and Sony. For me, Dell is a load of c***.

Glad I could help,
Fire Cat

Ask a Question