Comcast rant

Reaction score
Ok so I was using the online chat customer support for Comcast asking about our account and why I had an extra IP address. I remember our family added it, but it makes no sense since I only use one modem and this is a home account. So during the chat I asked her if I was benefiting from this & she tells me yeah and I then ask in what way. A moment later she leaves the chat and and like a minute later I have no internet and I'm being redirected to a comcast page telling me to activate my account. WTF? I had to call customer service and reactivate my account and remove the additional IP address and I upgraded our internet one step up. Talk about a bad apple in the customer service. The service rep on the phone was courteous and very helpful while the lady in the Comcast chat room was a complete idiot. The phone rep sent a complaint of our little chat to management so hopefully she gets severely disciplined or terminated. What the hell kind of customer support goes and cuts off my internet. I could tell immediately in the chat online this rep was not a tech savvy at all. I couldn't believe she did that. I'm still shocked. Usually I have a good experience on Chat support. I'd switch but you know the whole internet monopoly thing in the small town I live in. Plus the was my first incredibly rude encounter from a customer support.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Unfortunately that's the way things will be until the FCC steps in and starts to really regulate these companies.

I for one, believe that anyone should be able to access the internet through whatever provider they choose, if it's available in the geographic area of the customer.

Sounds like you had an idiot on the Chat Line for sure. I know that with some providers that the customer service rep will receive sales incentives, spiffs or a bonus for problems they fix and services they suggest and which are purchased.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You said a mouthful there, the ISP's have a lock on things, all over the country. Here, you can choose between Time Warner & AT&T. It's your choice, if you want a complete home package (phone, TV & internet), Time Warner gives you the price & speed, but more outages than AT&T does. AT&T offers great service & adequate speeds (constantly), but few specials and a 11 page bill full of taxes & fees. If I were still working, I'd go with AT&T, but since I'm not, I'm with Time Warner and take the bad with the good. There are a few other small companies, but they have to buy their services from one or the other of the above, and resell it, at a higher price. Then, there's the cell phone providers, you can get a USB modem that will work with most modern computers. But, there's a 5GB limit, at $59.99/month + taxes + surcharges = $72.00/month, plus the speed is terrible.

What I'm waiting on, since I live downtown, is the free Wi-Fi service that's being setup in nearby cities. Less than ten miles from me, there's another town that's going to be blanketed with free Wi-Fi by the year's end. I'm strongly considering moving for this service, it's going to be mid level Road Runner service, and plenty of towers are already going up for the project. If only I can convince my wife to move, that is. She loves it here too much.

Ask a Question