Cloud Computing

Reaction score
I am not very up on this new business of "Cloud Computing"..The only thing that might really interest me is if I could update files on several hard drives with different operating sys.at the same time?? at the moment I am running several Os's with the same programs on each while I am evaluating Win7 32bit and 64bit having to do everything several times is a bit of a drag, some items can be copied and pasted of course..So if anyone knows about "Cloud Computing" I would be obliged..:)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi ronpeck, Cloud computing is a general term for anything that involves delivering hosted services over the Internet. These services are broadly divided into three categories: Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS). The name cloud computing was inspired by the cloud symbol that's often used to represent the Internet in flow charts and diagrams. This is a very general description and i don't use cloud computing myself ... I have enough on keeping an eye on the wifes computing :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Perhaps the best example of cloud computing is: Gmail! It stores all your mail online, and it's accessible from anywhere. It differs from other, older webmail services in that it can be used as a platform to sync other devices as well. This is sort of the distinction between web app and cloud app: Can it interact with other devices?

Reaction score
The only issue with CC (cloud computing) as an OS (as Google intends to do with Chrome) is that is currently impossible to run any intense programs, and I don't just mean games. I bet Photoshop, possible Media Center, and more won't work with a cloud computing OS. This is because you would need incredibly fast internet speeds to grab them off the cloud and run it.

If I could dual boot a cloud OS and a local OS, that would be great, as I could use CC for light weight computing, and a local OS for the heavy lifting.

Google Docs is an example of running small programs from a cloud.

Reaction score
Is there a specific purpose or goal in mind for this Cloud Computing such as Mobile Phones or simple Internet PC's

Reaction score
When is comes to modern computing, the most people do normally is surf the internet, write a couple of documents, maybe watch a movie, and that's about as strenuous as it gets. Hence the coming of the net book, a small, light laptop that suits everyday needs perfectly.

Google Chrome OS is based around the internet, with all your files and programs stored on a server (or so I am told), it means that you don't need to worry about file sizes and storage limits.

It also means you can access anything from anywhere, as you simply sign into a computer and all your files a there, but when you click on them, you actually take them from the "cloud", in other words a massive server, and they appear on your computer.
So CC should make everyday computing simpler and easier. Hopefully.

At least, that's what I know.

Ask a Question