Cheap NIC with Windows 7 driver

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just upgraded my Compaq Persario SR1550TX to Window 7 32 bit. The NIC card was not recognized. After chatting with HP they said there is no driver, as of yet, for the built-in Motherboard NIC for windows 7, good luck. (RealTek Sis)

So i went out and bought a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR NIC card. Windows Compatibility Website says it is compatible for Windows 7. After a reply from Trendnet technical support, there is no driver for Windows 7 for the NIC card.

Can anyone recommend a cheap NIC PCI card that has windows 7 driver? I have tried D-Link, Netgear and a lot of others but when I see if they have the driver for windows 7 they do not.

Anything under $25 bucks would be great. After 3 days of struggles any suggestions would be nice!
Saxual

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller and it works very well with 32bit Windows 7 Professional.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you still got the Trendnet NIC? Did you try installing it and see if Windows has the driver already in its database? I'm sure we can get that card working (and probably even the onboard one if you wanted).

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
So i went out and bought a Trendnet TEG-PCITXR NIC card. Windows Compatibility Website says it is compatible for Windows 7. After a reply from Trendnet technical support, there is no driver for Windows 7 for the NIC card.
Your NIC card uses the Realtek RTL8169SC chipset. I verified this by going to TrendNet's website and downloaded the TIFF image of the card. The photo shows the chipset on the card. When I googled it, it looked like a Realtek chipset because of the logo printed on the chipset face. Then I verified it. See image below cropped using Snagit.

Realtek's website DOES HAVE a Windows 7 Driver available as of 10-23-2009. You can download just the driver itself or the install program incl. the utility.

The driver version is: 7.006 and it works for either 32bit or 64bit. :cool:

The download page for this driver is HERE.

Hopefully this will cure your problem! :ciao:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That is a great bit of investigation there Nibiru2012! :D

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Thanks Ian. I know that Realtek is constantly updating their drivers on a regular basis, especially since Windows 7 came out.

Trendnet's tech support cracks me up! :rolleyes:

After a reply from Trendnet technical support, there is no driver for Windows 7 for the NIC card.
Must have been "Dave" based in India! :dontknow:

Reaction score
No Soup for me

Well, I agree with the other users, that was some great work.

I took the NIC out of the Compaq machine to make sure that the pictures were a match, and they were a match.

But it didn't work. I know the Trendnet NIC is seated properly because when I plug in the Ethernet cable the light does come on.

When running the setup program for the driver downloaded, it tells me at the end "The Realtek Network Controller was not found. If deep Sleep Mode is enabled Please Plug the Cable." (What a great last sentence. It makes no sense.)

I have tried SIS drivers for windows SP, I have tried old drivers from HP for Windows XP.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have you still got the Trendnet NIC? Did you try installing it and see if Windows has the driver already in its database? I'm sure we can get that card working (and probably even the onboard one if you wanted).

There is no driver already in its database. Or it would be working and I wouldn't have to write thread. lol

Sorry, I'm a little frustrated with everything.

Reaction score
I use an Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet Controller and it works very well with 32bit Windows 7 Professional.
My computer can only handle PCI, not PCI express card. But anyway I did go and see if the Manufacturer had a Windows 7 driver, i could not find one.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Does the NIC show up in the Device Manager - Hardware section?

Did you go into the BIOS and disable the on-board NIC interface? If not, the system may be getting conflicting hardware messages.

Do you have a friend or relative from whom you could borrow their NIC card and see if it works in your setup?

Which ever store you bought the Trendnet card from should be willing to take it back since your having issues with it. They may hit you with a 15% restocking fee though.

I know that D-Link, Netgear and Linksys make very good NIC cards. For the price Airlink101 NIC cards are pretty decent too. Linksys is not supporting some older cards these days though.

Great price on an Airlink card here.

You're about 26 miles from a Fry's Electronics you could look there too. Here is some from their website.

Reaction score
My computer can only handle PCI, not PCI express card. But anyway I did go and see if the Manufacturer had a Windows 7 driver, i could not find one.
This is PCI. I did not have to install drivers because Windows 7 installed native drivers and they work just fine.

Reaction score
This is not the case here.

This is PCI. I did not have to install drivers because Windows 7 installed native drivers and they work just fine.
Sorry, one on-board nic and one PCI nic down and no Windows 7 native drivers here.

This is what I get for install windows before sp1!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Does the NIC show up in the Device Manager - Hardware section?

Did you go into the BIOS and disable the on-board NIC interface? If not, the system may be getting conflicting hardware messages.

Do you have a friend or relative from whom you could borrow their NIC card and see if it works in your setup?

Which ever store you bought the Trendnet card from should be willing to take it back since your having issues with it. They may hit you with a 15% restocking fee though.

I know that D-Link, Netgear and Linksys make very good NIC cards. For the price Airlink101 NIC cards are pretty decent too. Linksys is not supporting some older cards these days though.

Great price on an Airlink card here.

You're about 26 miles from a Fry's Electronics you could look there too. Here is some from their website.

I actually bought the NIC from Frys 26 miles from me. D-Link, Netgear and Linksys all do not have Windows 7 drivers out on the web, I have checked.

Reaction score
I have tried XP, Win2k, and Vista drives for both nic cards. Either the software erros out because I'm not on the right operating system or it installs and nothing happens.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Man, I don't know what to do on this one. It seems like the only Windows 7 "compatible" NIC cards are the Intel brand.

Reaction score
Hey guys this idea may help.

I am using a linksys card(WMP54G). Linksys doesn't has 64-Bit drivers for this card. However the chipset for the card is Ralink. With help from others, I have successfully setup this card using Ralink 64-Bit drivers. Once again this card did not setup with either manufacturer install utility.

I was able to point the Linksys card to the Ralink drivers manually through Device Manager. From Device Manager clicking update drivers and choosing the driver location myself. From the list of devices there were several to select from but only one would work for me.

I only mention this because it may help for your device too.

Ask a Question