Change Library Path

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A library is just a collection of paths which you can change and add to. What is it you are trying to do and I will explain the steps :)

You should just right click on a library you want to modify, click properties and then add/remove folder you want to be part of that collection.

Reaction score
I want to change folders as my documents, donwloads, etc to an other partition on my pc

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You could create new folders such as D:\Download, D:\Documents and add them as the only folders in the library properties. However, I saw your other post here about changing the location of My Documents which is a better option if you can get it working.

Reaction score
MIsplaced folder!

my name is jak ,,the other day I must have dragged my jak folder from "somewhere", and now it is on the desktop! I have NO idea where to drag it back too. Inside of it are:
Can anyone tell me where to drag it back too?

Attachments

Reaction score
:ciao:Welcome to the site Jumpunjak

I cant tell from the information you provided - I really need to know more - But a first look and a big guess - I would say it looks like a folder that would be found normally in "C:\Users\"

Do you login under Jaks? There should be a folder in "C:\Users\" for every login name used on the computer! you should check first to see if you copied the data instead of moving the data. If you copied the data then the copy can be deleted.

Are you sure you moved this folder? - Im not convinced that you can move this folder and Im not willing to try on my system!

Reaction score
Wow,,,,,,YES, I do log in under JAK and JAK IS in the users folder under C:\users and it is identical to the one on my desktop! (so I just deleted it) Thank you very much for the info....(I have no idea how I copied it!! but I did)

Reaction score
changing the library location

Hi......though I had succeeded in my HP lappy with windows 7, doing the same for the folders, I got a different view when I right clicked Documents in Dell Windows 7 Home basic...There was just no location n all, that could be edited...

I tried that creating a new folder n including it in library

I dont see why Microsoft cant wake up to the fact that nobody wants storing in C drive with OS.

Could you pls help me changing the dell folder, that has the dell stage n stuff to F drive as well

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The truth is most computers still come with one harddrive and multiple partitions on the same hard drive are no more secure should the drive fail so for the average user they have one hard drive with one visible partition (they may have recovery partitions or windows boot partitions but not ones they control).

For the rest of us, Microsoft made it very easy with libraries to move your existing folders or to add additional folders under My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, & My Videos or you can even create your own Libraries if you need more than those four.

To move your existing library you must be on the "My" entry not the header. For example if you select properties on Pictures then there is no Location tab. But if you select properties for My Pictures you should see a Location tab. On that window you can move the library or find target (for if you already created a new folder that you want to use).
MyLibrariesLocationTab.jpg

If you wish to keep the existing location PLUS add a new one that is when you use the high level folder Pictures (without the "My"). When you select the properties of Pictures you get a list of included folders that make up this Library. At first you will only have the one but you can Include a Folder to add more.
PicturesLocations.jpg

And the most powerful of all is the ability to add your own Library if you want something besides Documents, Music, Pictures, & Video. The easiest way to explain that one is to link to an article I posted on How to add Downloads to your Libraries. Downloads is just an example of course, you can add any Library name you like.

When I came to W7 I hated libraries. I wanted my folders where I wanted them and I didn't need some Libraries links in Windows Explorer because I wanted to go directly to my actual folders. But I have been converted because it is extremely versatile and convenient to have them right up top where I can get them quickly. Regulars here have heard me say it numerous times but it is true, I use libraries 99.9% of the time. I rarely have to go somewhere that isn't under my Libraries.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks

The truth is most computers still come with one harddrive and multiple partitions on the same hard drive are no more secure should the drive fail so for the average user they have one hard drive with one visible partition (they may have recovery partitions or windows boot partitions but not ones they control).

For the rest of us, Microsoft made it very easy with libraries to move your existing folders or to add additional folders under My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, & My Videos or you can even create your own Libraries if you need more than those four.

To move your existing library you must be on the "My" entry not the header. For example if you select properties on Pictures then there is no Location tab. But if you select properties for My Pictures you should see a Location tab. On that window you can move the library or find target (for if you already created a new folder that you want to use).
View attachment 4100

If you wish to keep the existing location PLUS add a new one that is when you use the high level folder Pictures (without the "My"). When you select the properties of Pictures you get a list of included folders that make up this Library. At first you will only have the one but you can Include a Folder to add more.
View attachment 4101

And the most powerful of all is the ability to add your own Library if you want something besides Documents, Music, Pictures, & Video. The easiest way to explain that one is to link to an article I posted on How to add Downloads to your Libraries. Downloads is just an example of course, you can add any Library name you like.

When I came to W7 I hated libraries. I wanted my folders where I wanted them and I didn't need some Libraries links in Windows Explorer because I wanted to go directly to my actual folders. But I have been converted because it is extremely versatile and convenient to have them right up top where I can get them quickly. Regulars here have heard me say it numerous times but it is true, I use libraries 99.9% of the time. I rarely have to go somewhere that isn't under my Libraries.

Hope that helps.
I see your point.........I'll definitely try that.

The main point is that, nothing can ever be safe with OS in the C Drive, when we are using windows.........there's always a chance............n atleast I can never risk anything to be there with the OS! This minimizes the risk...if ever anything goes wrong only the C drive can be formatted.

I know lappys come with 2 drives these days, but unfortunately they are equally distributed in space.
So the C drive is just wasted.

Could you please add any insight to changing the Dell Stage or the dell folder as well, cuz other than the administer's account n "My pictures" n all, there's this completely different folder.that automatically gets saved in the C drive

And....if there's any way to divert all important stuff from the C drive to the other F drive, I'd be most grateful

P.S Downloads is the 1st thing that should be there in the libraries....! :lol:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The main point is that, nothing can ever be safe with OS in the C Drive, when we are using windows.........there's always a chance............n atleast I can never risk anything to be there with the OS! This minimizes the risk...if ever anything goes wrong only the C drive can be formatted.
Any drive can be formatted and it won't be W7 that makes this mistake, it will be human error.

I know lappys come with 2 drives these days, but unfortunately they are equally distributed in space.
So the C drive is just wasted.
You can shrink the C drive and allocate the extra space (all long as you currently have 3 partitions or less) to a new drive. Windows also allows you to extend an existing partition to include any unallocated space as long as it is just to the right of the existing partition but unfortunately any space you free from C: will be to the left of D:. There are programs you can buy that allow you to expand an existing partition even if free space is on the left (they run several hours and physically move everything).

Could you please add any insight to changing the Dell Stage or the dell folder as well, cuz other than the administer's account n "My pictures" n all, there's this completely different folder.that automatically gets saved in the C drive
Have no idea what this might be but if it's not "your data" but instead something the system does then why does it seem so wrong to leave it with the OS? Maybe some others can shed some light on what this may be ???

And....if there's any way to divert all important stuff from the C drive to the other F drive, I'd be most grateful
What is important stuff? Your data is the only "important stuff" that may belong anywhere else and I explained how to move that.

Ask a Question