CCleaner v3 Released

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
There's a new version of CCleaner out now, which comes with a few extra features (such as x64 version and drive wiper):

v3.00.1303 (28 Oct 2010)
- New CCleaner 64-bit native EXE.
- New UI graphics and icons.
- New internal scanning architecture.
- New Drive Wiper tool screen under Tools section.
- New Intelligent cookie keeping functionality.
- Improved support for IE9.
- Improved support for Google Chrome.
- Improved HTML5 Database Storage cleaning.
- Added support to clean Microsoft Silverlight Isolated Storage.
- Added support for AVG AntiVirus 10.0, Audacity, LogMeIn Hamachi, BitTorrent and Windows Game Explorer.
- Improved support for Vuze.
- Added new environment variables: %SystemDirectory%, %SystemDirectory32% and %SystemDirectory64%.
- Improved Registry backup to address problems when saving values.
- Improved cleaning Windows Log Files for 64-bit OSs.
- Many UI improvements and bug fixes.
You can download the new version from here:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Got it last night.
Seems to run sweeter in the short while I've had it

Reaction score
ive downloaded it, but it installed to the x86 folder - im not sure if there is a separate 64bit dl link available? sorry if being a stupido, im not in best condition right now...

EIDT;

nevermind, i just checked the process - its 64.

Reactions: Ian

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, installed it this morning. I like the new Drive Wiper functionality (have not tried it yet), waiting for someone else to try it.:)

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Thanks Ian, installed it this morning. I like the new Drive Wiper functionality (have not tried it yet), waiting for someone else to try it.:)
I tried it, but panicky at start of doing so. Just in case it was on "wipe entire drive". But all went ok.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
When Mr. Plod comes tapping on your door. If you've wiped or over-written your free space it'll be harder for him to watch your deleted pr0n.

An optimizer is a happy person who is tight with their money.

Reaction score
When Mr. Plod comes tapping on your door. If you've wiped or over-written your free space it'll be harder for him to watch your deleted pr0n.

An optimizer is a happy person who is tight with their money.
i....uuuooooooooohkayyy.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
what is it? an ... optimizer?

what is the use in wiping free space?

It gets rid of cookies, web surfing data, temp files, cleans the recycle bin, etc.

Wiping free space to be sure that the files you have deleted are really deleted and gets rid of extra bits and bytes hanging around.

It's a good idea to do this about once a week or so just to keep things tidied up a bit.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I like the option, but it was already there, just not as noticeable. What I didn't like was the option of including Google Chrome. In an earlier thread that I created, I mentioned that my mouse was sticking, and I unintentionally installed Chrome a couple of times.

It's great that CCleaner has an uninstaller to redeem my bad mouse.:D No Google Chrome on my computer!

I do like the new 64 bit version, and the overall new look. Not overdoing it, just enough to notice.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It gets rid of cookies, web surfing data, temp files, cleans the recycle bin, etc.

Wiping free space to be sure that the files you have deleted are really deleted and gets rid of extra bits and bytes hanging around.

It's a good idea to do this about once a week or so just to keep things tidied up a bit.
It also got rid of my restore points, just as another app (Eraser) did. I had all three partitions checked to wipe, using the DOD (three wipes) method. After it was finished, I noticed that ALL of my restore points were deleted.

Fortunately, I done this on my notebook, so no damage was done. But why does these "free space" wipers deletes the restore points? I set 20% of the partition space for these restore points, yet these "cleaners" deletes them anyway. And this isn't the first time it's happened either.

I post this to warn all that this can happen, by using this app.

Cat

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Wiping free space is not necessary unless you are worried a badguy will somehow gain access to your disk, use a data recovery program on the disk, then use that information against you. For those unaware, deleting (or reformatting) does not "erase" or actually "delete" anything that was previously saved in that storage location. It merely marks in the tables that that space is now available. The data is still there.

A wipe program does not "wipe" either. It writes a bunch of random or nonsensical 1s and 0s in that space which realigns the magnetic particles so any previous data cannot be retrieved.

Note that through normal use, the previous data is overwritten. And once overwritten a few times, even the best forensic analysis with the best equipment cannot retrieve the previously saved data.

The only time most people need to wipe a disk is when they are getting rid of the disk.

Ask a Question