CCleaner Update Available 2.35.1219

Reaction score
Best to set it up to send you an e mail when it updates.:)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is a settings option to check for updates, also.

Reaction score
You're welcome.

As for the e-mail, I don't really ever check it and wouldn't want any notification by that means, anyhow.

As for the software updating, I have it blocked from internet access by using ZoneAlarm since the software "phones home" during install, while using and running etc..

I do not enjoy that practice by any means. If you click the update button from within the software, it opens a web page and that is never blocked by me. There is no reason for the software to phone home at any time. I make sure it can't, like I do with all software that doesn't expressly require internet access, including all Microsoft and Windows components.

When I do a Windows Update, I allow Host Process for Windows Services the access it needs, temporarily.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You can download and install the File Hippo Update Checker, many programs are available on their site, most that are in the Free Software Database are available from them.

It's a small program, you run it, all of your installed programs that are in their database that has an updated version will be displayed. Nothing is automatically updated, you can choose which programs that you want updated.

File Hippo Update Checker can be found at:

http://www.filehippo.com

Cat

Reaction score
Cat, I used to run File Hippo and used to recommend it but have you found it to still be ok? I was getting it hanging or not loading properly anymore.. I removed it then re-installed but kept getting the same problem so gave up on it. It used to be good though.

Reaction score
Cat, I used to run File Hippo and used to recommend it but have you found it to still be ok? I was getting it hanging or not loading properly anymore.. I removed it then re-installed but kept getting the same problem so gave up on it. It used to be good though.
Use Secunia's PSI.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've used it on every Windows OS that I've had, with excellent results. Mabye once in a while it'll hang, but no more than any other site that I've been on. You can set it to notify you automatically for updates by setting it to run at startup.

The main reason that I like File Hippo's site is that you can find a software in almost every category that you can think of. And all are up to date. If you prefer an older version, those links are there, too. I've used a few similar sites in the past, but File Hippo has better software than the others I've been on, many of which most of us use on a daily basis.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Use Secunia's PSI.
Cypress - What for? Secunia PSI is a security program.

Secunia PSI detects insecure programs and plug-ins and provides updates to secure your PC. Patching programs and plug-ins secures your PC against many threats which normal anti-virus software can't.
It does not even have the same functions as CCleaner.

It you would be willing to explain that would help, right now it's about as clear as mud.

Two words and an acronym are not a useful post.

Reaction score
Secunia does not work in the same way as File Hippo which was what I was discussing with Cat.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Okay I see, it was late last night and I didn't realize that part of it.

I never use third-party software update programs, several of the software I use check themselves. The others I check manually.

I figure if I can't check for an update for a favorite program of mine I'd better just hang up my CPU.

Ask a Question