SOLVED Can't send a Word file out....

Reaction score
[Dell desktop; MS Windows 7 Home; Windows Live Mail Essential 2011; Mozilla Firefox]

I need to send a file to someone, I opened a dialog, highlighted the file, then >Send to >Mail Recipient and it shows an attachment icon in the email. But when I try to open it to see it before sending, it won't open, and it says this:

"The command cannot be performed because a dialog box is open. Click OK and close the opened dialog box to continue."

But, when I close the dialog...there's nothing left to click on!

I also tried "Save as" with a different name, then >Send to >Mail recipient, etc. but when trying to open the attachment, it says:

"Windows wants to know what program you want to use to open this file with." But I can't find the program!

I searched the web but they suggested to download a software or to change my registry. I'm afraid of both!

I do hope there is a way to go around this problem so I can send this blessed file out?

Thanks ever so much! Adela

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A little clarification please.

OK, you wrote a document in Microsoft Word or was it sent to you?

You have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, right?

What is the file extension on the document?

Why do you need to open it inside Windows Live Mail, if you are attaching it then it's already on your computer; simply open it to view by clicking on it in Windows explorer.

Reaction score
A little clarification please.

OK, you wrote a document in Microsoft Word or was it sent to you?

You have Microsoft Word installed on your computer, right?

What is the file extension on the document?

Why do you need to open it inside Windows Live Mail, if you are attaching it then it's already on your computer; simply open it to view by clicking on it in Windows explorer.
Hello and thank you TrainableMan. I'm sorry I forgot to explain:

I originally wrote this document in WordPerfect8 but bought a new computer with MS Word installed and it automatically converted all my WP8 docs to Word. I'm not using WP8 anymore.

The extension on the document is .KB ... or it was. I went back to the document and this time doesn't have it or I don't see it?
I went to "Hide file extensions for known file types." to UNcheck it, but it was already UNchecked! I also see that all the other documents are without extensions...am I getting another problem?

I tried to open it inside Windows Live Mail so I could send it out as attachment. I tried to open it before sending to make sure it worked when opened at the other end. Is it possible to send a document without using the email then?

I was able to send previously 2 similar docs without problem, with .doc extensions. Is an extension important when sending out?

Thanks again for more help... :) Adela

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The extension is what tells the system what type of information the file contains and with that information it checks the registry to see what program is registered to process that file type. If there is no file extension then windows has no idea what program should be opened to handle the file, and that is why it asks you.

I do wonder why those files don't have a file extension; that is of some concern. I suggest you rename one to include the .doc extension and then see if it opens properly. If so, then you will likely need to make the change to all of your documents if they are missing a file extension.

Reaction score
The extension is what tells the system what type of information the file contains and with that information it checks the registry to see what program is registered to process that file type. If there is no file extension then windows has no idea what program should be opened to handle the file, and that is why it asks you.

I do wonder why those files don't have a file extension; that is of some concern. I suggest you rename one to include the .doc extension and then see if it opens properly. If so, then you will likely need to make the change to all of your documents if they are missing a file extension.
Thank you, I renamed 3 of them but they didn’t open after the attachment was sent to the email. You’re right it’s strange they don’t show the extensions as I remember they were there before, but when I sorted them with “Details” it showed one column titled “Type” giving each file its type (though not anchored as extensions), I show below:

1 of them, Type: Microsoft Word document
3 of them, Type: BK! File
2 of them, Type: WPD File (which I had sent w/o problem)

I don’t know what else to do...if I make a screenshot showing how they are listed, would it help you help me? :)

Thanks again! Adela

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well a BK! file is a backup file; generally you wouldn't use that file because there should be an original with the same name but a "correct" file extension.

WPD is a Word Perfect file; Microsoft Word can probably open it but it was created in Word Perfect.

If you are seeing those Types then it's likely there are extensions and they just aren't showing. I know you said "Hide extensions for known file types" is not checked but make sure you have selected this particular folder first because it is possible to have different settings for different folder types.

And sure, include a screenshot.

Reaction score
THANK YOU Trainableman! I was able to send them out finally thanks to you who reminded me to recheck the folder; indeed, what I had seen as unchecked was a similar looking line, but I found and unchecked the right one and everything’s great! Thanks a lot again!!! :) Adela

P.S. BTW...I love your footnote! lol!

Ask a Question