Can't decide between 32-bit or 64-bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello!

I am getting my new PC tomorrow because this one is already old and i would want something to be able run some new games. I have a problem choosing between 32-bit and 64-bit system(W7). As i read on your forums about good and bad things both bit systems have i still can't decide which one to use. I will use PC mostly for some new games and internet plus some school work (doing Printed Circuit Board schemes in some programs and using Word for some other work.)
I should give some of my new system properties:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E7500, 2.93 GHz
RAM: 4GB(2x2gb) DDR 2 800MHz
Hard Disk: 1TB
and Graphics card: Nvidia GeFroce 9600GT 512 MB
I will be thankfull for any kind of answers about recommending on which system to choose. Sorry for my bad English.

Cmg4life.

Reaction score
Because of your school work and technological apps you use, you will benefit from 64 bit. Go with that.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi cmg4life

Looking at your Computer spec you would do well to go 64-bit and i hope you enjoy Windows 7 :)

Reaction score
Hello!

I am getting my new PC tomorrow because this one is already old and i would want something to be able run some new games. I have a problem choosing between 32-bit and 64-bit system(W7). As i read on your forums about good and bad things both bit systems have i still can't decide which one to use. I will use PC mostly for some new games and internet plus some school work (doing Printed Circuit Board schemes in some programs and using Word for some other work.)
I should give some of my new system properties:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E7500, 2.93 GHz
RAM: 4GB(2x2gb) DDR 2 800MHz
Hard Disk: 1TB
and Graphics card: Nvidia GeFroce 9600GT 512 MB
I will be thankfull for any kind of answers about recommending on which system to choose. Sorry for my bad English.

Cmg4life.
I purchased a 64 bit and had to exchange it less than a week later for a 32 bit because several of my software programs would not run, even with compatibility options. I'm now a happy camper.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I purchased a 64 bit and had to exchange it less than a week later for a 32 bit because several of my software programs would not run, even with compatibility options. I'm now a happy camper.
That may hold true for today, but before the lifespan of a new computer ends, 64 bit will be the norm. True, some programs won't work, but a lot will. It would be best to invest in a 64 bit computer with 4GB RAM. I've had mine since November and I love it. All of the programs that I've downloaded were 32 bit by default. And it's very doubtful that there will be another Microsoft 32 bit OS released again. That's something to think about, as well.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi BevDaBronxbabe

You will find many of your programs will have an alternative (eg) Acronis True Image / Paragon Drive Backup, they do the same job, google your programs and 99% of the time you will find one that is suitable :)

Reaction score
Nope, I did that for about a week straight. One of my programs had no substitute that was comparable. :(
Hi BevDaBronxbabe

You will find many of your programs will have an alternative (eg) Acronis True Image / Paragon Drive Backup, they do the same job, google your programs and 99% of the time you will find one that is suitable :)

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have Win 7 64bit and I am a happy camper. :)

Reaction score
It was an old program called AOLPRESS and AOL stopped supporting it many years ago. I built my website with it and continue to use it on a daily basis. Simple program for a simple mind? Anyway I checked onlin for comparable programs and couldn't find one that had the simplicity this Bronx Broad needed.
Thats a shame, what was the program ?

Reaction score
OK I caved in to pressure and today I exchanged the 32 bit for a 64 bit Toshiba Satellite A505...The one program that cannot run on this, I will have to use only on my 32 bit desktop. Oh well.:)
Nope, I did that for about a week straight. One of my programs had no substitute that was comparable. :(

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
You won't regret going with 64 bit. It is the future, and the future is now. Windows 8 is already in the works, and should you want to try it out, the chance of you doing so on a 32 bit computer is very slim. When making a computer choice (and the components, such as the printer), think of the future. Not only computers, but all electronics are outdated within a year or so. 32 bit systems has (and still are) served us well, but it's not included in the plans of the next release. So if possible, when you make these purchases, think of the future.

Reaction score
great news!!! I got aolpress to work in my new 64 bit. I did it by changing sharing options. Hooray:d
i purchased a 64 bit and had to exchange it less than a week later for a 32 bit because several of my software programs would not run, even with compatibility options. I'm now a happy camper.

Reaction score
great news!!! I got aolpress to work in my new 64 bit. I did it by changing sharing options. Hooray:d
Thats great news. :)
Congratulations

Now you can enjoy Windows 7 64-Bit. :)

Reaction score
brand new Acer laptop w/ Win7 today, won't view videos even after installing latest version.

Should I change some type of setting to 32 bit? if so, how?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Did you select the proper program on your laptop to view videos on? I don't know much about Acer, but I know that most computers has a default program to view DVD's on. In fact, I have two of them. One is in CyberLink DVD Deluxe, the other is Windows Media Player. So check to see what options you have. Be sure to read you manual carefully and also look under Start>All Programs. You should find an option. If not, contact the manufacturer directly. And Welcome to the forums, mmoody53. Hope you get your video player going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question