Cannot login to local network computer on the same WORKBROUP

Reaction score
I feel really frustrated. I installed a fresh win7 desktop and it connected to internet just fine. It finds my other computers on the local network but I cannot access their shared file system like my xp or ubuntu computers.

Let's say my user name is abcd and password is 1234567 (across all my computers)
when I click the other computer icon shown in the local network window,
if pop ups a login panel and I entered the username/password and then annoyingly it flicks itself and displays win7/abce as my username, ******* as my password and said login was failed!

I tried to edit my credential but it has no changes.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If you're in a homegroup, leave it. Assign the same workgroup name for all computers. Turn on network discovery. Use user accounts & passwords (sharing settings), don't let Windows manage homegroups. May also want to drop 128-bit encryption - maybe XP and Linux can handle it, maybe they don't, I can't say.

'win7/abce' as your username just means win7 is the name of that pc/server and abce is the username on it. you can try using the other comp's instead, ie ubuntu/abce if you'd like, although i don't know if it's necessary.

On the xp machine you can try granting "Everyone" full rights on the shared folders, if you wish. That worked for me.

it's always been trial and error for me getting 7 to share nicely, and part of that has been dropping some security settings. probably unnecessary but i just want things to work.

Ask a Question