Cannot access Facebook with FireFox 5

Reaction score
I use windows xp with firewall and firefox version 5
Whenever I try to log in to facebook it says

You are using an incompatible web browser.

Sorry, we're not cool enough to support your browser. Please keep it real with one of the following browsers:

I have no idea what this means or why is it happening
Please help me out asap

Reaction score
I have no idea what this means or why is it happening
It means Facebook has not yet included Firefox 5.0 as a supported Web Browser.

In Mozilla's attempt to increase their version numbers rapidly, this will probably happen a few more times with the next few version increments. In other words Mozilla is increasing their versions quicker than Facebook would care to keep up with.

There is two to blame for this:
  • Mozilla for the rapid version increments.
  • Facebook for not keeping up with them.

The only two options available are:
  • Wait for Facebook to update their supported browser list.
  • Fall back on an older Firefox version that Facebook does support.

Reaction score
I have safari and ie6 and chrome downloaded on the PC and every web browser shows the same message :confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Firefox 5.0 could be too new but ie6 is definitely a supported browser.

I would try flushing your cache and clear your history. Try running CCleaner.

Have you tried rebooting your computer? Have you installed any new software lately?

Reaction score
I use the latest Firefox 5.0 and I use Face Book with no problems it is not Face Book or FF that is causing your problem. I suggest you clean up you machine using CC Cleaner and see what happens

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It means Facebook has not yet included Firefox 5.0 as a supported Web Browser.

In Mozilla's attempt to increase their version numbers rapidly, this will probably happen a few more times with the next few version increments. In other words Mozilla is increasing their versions quicker than Facebook would care to keep up with.

There is two to blame for this:
  • Mozilla for the rapid version increments.
  • Facebook for not keeping up with them.

The only two options available are:
  • Wait for Facebook to update their supported browser list.
  • Fall back on an older Firefox version that Facebook does support.
That can't be completely true, I currently am able to use Firefox 8 with Facebook, no problems. I've become sort of a developer in the Nightly project lol. I'm working on a few plugins of my own and i've upgraded some of the ones that were previously incompatible with my version of Firefox. However I don't see a reason for why it would say it's incompatible.

@mish riz: If you have IE6 I would assume you're not running Vista or Win7. Maybe you still run Windows 2K or XP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
That can't be completely true, I currently am able to use Firefox 8 with Facebook, no problems. I've become sort of a developer in the Nightly project lol. I'm working on a few plugins of my own and i've upgraded some of the ones that were previously incompatible with my version of Firefox. However I don't see a reason for why it would say it's incompatible.
My assessment maybe incorrect but that is what the error means. In a way I'm happy that I was wrong and Facebook does support Firefox 5.

Why else would this error occur though? To effect all browsers, it couldn't be browser specific. Maybe a Firewall setting or Mal-ware infection has things messed up.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My assessment maybe incorrect but that is what the error means. In a way I'm happy that I was wrong and Facebook does support Firefox 5.

Why else would this error occur though? To effect all browsers, it couldn't be browser specific. Maybe a Firewall setting or Mal-ware infection has things messed up.
I was guessing the Windows Installer as well, but only if he has trouble installing other programs as well. A firewall could be the first guess.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I separated this thread including Ace's dual post that was above.

@mish riz: If you have IE6 I would assume you're not running Vista or Win7. Maybe you still run Windows 2K or XP?
mish mentions running XP w/ IE6.

Since IE6 IS the standard for XP and XP is still quite popular I assure you Facebook supports it.

So though the error may say it is because the browser is not supported I suspect it s because something is messed up or possibly a program is purposefully hiding the browser you are using. Similar to how Opera can fake being any browser you want in it's settings.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
WOW! If FF 5.0 isn't supported by Facebook it might be one of those hidden security features!

Might even tempt me away from FF 3.6.6! :D

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
WOW! If FF 5.0 isn't supported by Facebook it might be one of those hidden security features!

Might even tempt me away from FF 3.6.6! :D
haha, If I were you I would upgrade to 7 or 8. Versions 4 and 5 are the reason why people still have doubts in Mozilla development. Even though 7 and 8 are still alpha, 7 seems to be fairly stable, and since I have knowledge with being a developer i'm currently running 8.0a1. I have faith that it's going to be the future browser. It's already as fast as chrome from my experience with it. And I have all my addons (some of which were modified by myself for compatibility)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It's not an issue with Firefox.

What firewall are you using?

Ask a Question