Can I use 32 bit Win 7 disc to install 64 bit Win 7?

Reaction score
Please help.
I have built a new 64 bit computer. I want to use a windows 7 op sys disk from old computer that I am replacing which is inop. The disc is 32 bit win 7 home premium.

I apparently installed the op sys with no issues except an initially inop keyboard and mouse but able to get keyboard and mouse in the house to work.

Without purchasing new win 7 disks can I upgrade to Win 7 64 bit?

During the installation?
Should I uninstall and reinstall?
If so how?

zigzag3143

Wanikiya
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Please help.
I have built a new 64 bit computer. I want to use a windows 7 op sys disk from old computer that I am replacing which is inop. The disc is 32 bit win 7 home premium.

I apparently installed the op sys with no issues except an initially inop keyboard and mouse but able to get keyboard and mouse in the house to work.

Without purchasing new win 7 disks can I upgrade to Win 7 64 bit?

During the installation?
Should I uninstall and reinstall?
If so how?
You dont "purchase" the discs, you purchase the license to use it. If your system 32 disc is from MS and abt 2.5 gigs it can only be used to install 32 bit.

You can download a 64 bit ISO and burn it to DVD.

Reaction score
You dont "purchase" the discs, you purchase the license to use it. If your system 32 disc is from MS and abt 2.5 gigs it can only be used to install 32 bit.

You can download a 64 bit ISO and burn it to DVD.
zigzag3143:
Thank you for your reply.
I did purchase the disc AND the accompanying license.
What is your definition of ISO?
Before your reply I did get an answer from the tech chat at Microcenter (who does concur with you, partially, in that I must use 64 bit) from which I will purchase a new op sys disc and accompanying license.
Happy New Year!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
An ISO is a disk image which can be burned to a DVD with software that understands what an ISO image is, such as ImgBurn. You can find links to 64-bit(x64) W7 Home Premium SP1 HERE. And you can find links for ImgBurn in our Freeware DB.

NOTE: If you burn an ISO with software that does not understand it is an image then all you end up with is a single ISO file on a disk; when it is burned properly you end up with a bootable DVD with many folders and files.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
If your current key and product disc are OEM builder version then you'll have to purchase a new disc & key. IF not then you may use the current product key for the 64 bit version of the same edition, in your case, Home Premium.

Reaction score
It is impossible to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit. You need to do a clean install.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Super is correct: If you already installed the 32-bit OS then to move to a 64-bit OS will require another complete reinstall.

Ask a Question