SOLVED can i upgrade my processor

Reaction score
HI I want to know if i can buy a new processor campatible to my current motherboard of my laptop running windows 7, My Sony Vaio laptop has Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML . I also want to increase my laptop RAM right now i Have 2GB DDR2 RAM and their is an extra slot to what i can add . will that be detected by my windows 7 or xp ?

Reaction score
Without knowing more details, we can not tell you if an upgrade is possible.

Even if it is possible to upgrade, laptops do not have a set standard on how to open the case for changing parts. If you have to ask this question, I would advise not attempting this on your own. However if you are sincere and truly think you can do this upgrade, you would probably be better off asking Sony Customer Support.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
sanjeevkr, welcome to the forum!

My former Dell Latitude D610 has similar specs (the Mobile Intel(R) 915/910) and had 2 slots for RAM, with a 2GB limit, running XP Pro. It came to me with the full 2GB RAM in one slot, the one underneath the keyboard was empty.

So I had an extra 1GB stick of compatible DDR2 RAM, I added it, but it didn't show up. The slot was OK, because I removed the 2GB stick, then rebooted, it showed up as 1GB RAM installed.

Adding more than your max capacity of RAM won't work, even if you have a empty slot available to you.

I did consider upgrading the CPU myself, but in the end decided it was not worth the expense & trouble, taking into consideration the other problems with the notebook (which were numerous).

Another thing, the graphics for the computer (the Intel(M) 915/910), is not the best, by far, for a Windows 7 install. The Aero graphics will not display on it. Win 7 Home Basic (doesn't have Aero) will work OK, but the only way in the US to obtain that particular OS is to be a TechNet member, which will cost $199 per year for the Desktop subscription (the lowest cost membership available).

But even then, that's not meant to be a permanent install, the software is for evaluation purposes only. And still, you'll be faced with the need to obtain Win 7 drivers (or Vista ones, they usually work). They're getting harder to find by the day. Even Windows Update doesn't release updates for this hardware any longer.

If your notebook is otherwise running fine, you can sell it on eBay (many XP based notebooks still brings in around $250 to $300). Then turn around & visit Newegg, and find another at a great price, and in most areas of the US, no taxes.

That way, you'll be spared a lot of time & money, for what will probably amount to be less than your desired results.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Generally laptops are not easily upgradeable except for RAM. What is the make model computer and we can check if 2GB is maxed out?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Don't mess with the notebook. Instead just bite the bullet and get newer laptop if you want better performance.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In India it may be quite an expense compared to the annual income to buy a new laptop.

Reaction score
If your notebook is otherwise running fine, you can sell it on eBay (many XP based notebooks still brings in around $250 to $300). Then turn around & visit Newegg, and find another at a great price, and in most areas of the US, no taxes.

That way, you'll be spared a lot of time & money, for what will probably amount to be less than your desired results.

Best of Luck,
Cat
would you buy for $300 ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you tell us the specific model # of your Sony Vaio we can probably look up the maximum RAM specs to see if you are already at the limits or if you can add more to the additional slot.

Reaction score
Model - VGN-FJ78GP/B

Platform
  • Intel® Centrino® Mobile Technology
  • Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2GHz)*1
  • Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
  • Intel® 915GM Express Chipset
Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760
(2M Cache, 2.00A GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

If your CPU is embedded, replacing the CPU would not be possible.

Main Memory
  • 512MB DDR2 SDRAM*2 (upgradeable up to 2GB)*3
  • 2 SO-DIMM slots (The pre-installed memory module uses one)
*3 By removing the pre-installed 512MB memory module and adding two 1GB memory modules.

You seem to have the max memory instralled.

Ask a Question