Can I put C:/ drive from old computer into new computer?

Reaction score
I've acquired a Dell Inspiron 580, to replace my Dell Opiplex 780.

I have a 1tb C:/ drive with many programs installed in the Optiplex. Can I simply put that drive in the new Inspiron and boot it successfully?

What if I put the C:/ drive in the Inspiron, put the Windows7/64 install disk in the Inspiron DVD drive, do the first boot from the install DVD, and say "repair the operating system" on that drive? Would that work?

Thanks. I dread having to reinstall many programs, some of which may not be able to get, as they are university licensed and may not be available or I may not be able to re-install again (Microsoft and other companies limit installs in the university's license).

Thank you.
Jim

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The drivers needed for the 580 are likely different from the 780 so it probably will not boot if you simply swap in the hard drive.

But even if you could, legally you cannot transfer the W7 OEM license from the 780 to the 580; the only way this would be legal is if you had the Full Licensed (non-upgrade, non-OEM) W7 on the 780 now.

Reaction score
Outside of the legality part. If you manually download the Ethernet drivers on a usb stick for the new system, then you may be able to boot up the system, add the drivers manually, enable internet connectivity, and allow Windows to update any/all the necessary drivers, or better yet go to Dells website, and get as many of them as you can; ie Audio, Display, etc. This can be pretty tedious, but it should be able to do.

Ask a Question