Can I install 32 bit Windows 7 on a 64 bit PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Please guys, need your help.
I've Windows 7 Enterprise Version 32 Bit. I want to install it on a Sony Vaio 64 Bit laptop. I tried but it gives me error that your system is 64 bit and windows you're trying to install is 32 bit.
Is there any possible way to install a 32 bit Windows 7 on a 64 bit PC?

Thanks,
Waiting for your replies.

Raza

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Raza and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

You need to perform a clean install, full format the C: partition or drive then install ... but not sure why you would want to as on 64-bit most 32-bit applications will work.

Reaction score
I am already using Windows 7 Home Premium. But as IT Engineer, feel hands tied with restriction on Home. I've been given Windows 7 Enterprise version but 32 bit.
Although I've downloaded Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit but just want to confirm that if with the same DVD of 32 bit I can install on 64 bit system. Because I'm also not sure that the serial key of 32 bit will work on 64 bit. Do you have any info about this serial key? Appreciate your reply..

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The product key you have for the 32 bit will work for the 64 bit you downloaded. One product key will work for either version, it's just that only one install per key.

Just burn the Windows 7 Enterprise ISO image to a blank DVD and then install as normal using your 32 bit product key.

Although I've downloaded Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit but just want to confirm that if with the same DVD of 32 bit I can install on 64 bit system.
This above statement was slightly confusing... could you be a little more explanatory?

Last edited:

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
joinraza wrote
But as IT Engineer
Now if you was to purchase another product key you could have a dual boot (32-bit & 64-bit)

Reaction score
Hello joinraza ,
Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.
Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions
I hope that helps you out!
You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx
Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support

Reaction score
Hey, my question is similar to this...I've just bought a new computer and it's a 64bit computer, but I only bothered buying 2gb of RAM so I bought the 32bit version of windows 7, it installed fine, and works fine except for one thing...I get the blue screen of death a lot, like every 20-30minutes...finding it quite annoying. The driver disc I recieved when I bought the computer only has 64bit drivers (and they are for vista). Do you think it's just a problem with certain drivers or is there a problem with putting 32bit 7 on a 64bit PC??

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The 32 bit version should run just fine on an x64 hardware computer. The main question is WHY? You have NO reason to do this.

Windows 7 x64 will run just fine with 2GB of RAM.

If you want to keep the x86 version then go to the computer maker's website and download the Windows 7 32 bit drivers. It would be a good idea to get the 64 bit drivers while you're there.

Store the drivers on an external hard drive or a thumb drive or a CD-RW disc.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, bozo! My Windows 7 64 bit desktop was shipped with 2GB RAM, and was perfectly functional. No BSOD's, either. My reason for upgrading my RAM was that I use VM's, and you need a minimum of 3GB RAM on a 64 bit OS for them to run smoothly. With a 32 bit computer, you can do this with 2GB RAM. There are also other reasons that one would need to upgrade their RAM, but until I started running more RAM hungry apps, 2GB was fine for 64 bit. And even if you decided to upgrade your RAM, 4GB is considered to be the "sweet spot" for home users running 64 bit. 2GB will be plenty, should you decide to stay with 32 bit.

Reaction score
OK, so the reason it's been done like this is because the computer is actually for my company and I sent my business partner out with exact instructions (As I know a thing or two about computers) but as usual he thinks he's knows better and has bought the computer with windows 7 32bit and installed it, then when I was setting up some of the apps we use I noticed what he had done.

I had considered changing to 64bit but one of the programs we run a lot is autocad and I felt that it was probably RAM hungry.

Thanks for the advice. Think what I'll do is download the 32bit drivers and install them, if that solves the problem I'll leave it as is for now, but with the view to changing to 64bit at a later date.

So my original question was is it likely to be my drivers that are making it blue screen?? Are we agreed it probably is?? Thanks again.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
So the computer didn't come with Windows 7 installed on it? You installed it yourself?

Like I mentioned in a previous post, go get all the Windows 7 64 bit drivers you need and download them, store them on another drive. and then install Windows 7 64 bit.

If you're using Vista drivers they may be causing problems. Some Vista drivers work fine and others don't.

Give us MORE information, it will help. Make and model of computer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question