BSODs even after clean install

Reaction score
The first of my BSOD problems started about a month ago. I was getting IRQL_NOT_NESS_OR_EQUAL a few times, so the one solution I had tried was to run the HP diagnostics tool on the RAM and see if they needed to be replaced or simply need reinserting into the slots (I tested each RAM stick individually). The latter had worked, the RAM was no longer showing as corrupt, and I didn't get any BSODs for a couple of weeks. Then they started happening again. I didn't save the dump files for those but I remember that they happened at random. I could go a day fine but the next i'd get 3 or 4 BSODs. I kept looking online for solutions but I just gave up and did a clean install of my operating system about a week ago from today.

But lo and behold, they're back, happening at random as usual. I ran that memtest tool a couple days ago just to re-check the RAM and let it sit overnight but no errors came up. I looked at the dump files with bluescreen viewer to see what files/drivers were causing the latest crashes and they usually point to ntoskrnl.exe. I've included the dump files, hopefully someone has a solution because none of the other solutions seem to help.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything seems to be going fine so far, I'll post again in this thread if something goes wrong.

Reaction score
Okay, it seems there's one little problem still lingering. After the BSODs started happening my PC would randomly lock/freeze up. It doesn't happen nearly as often as the BSODs but I think today was the 3rd or 4th time it's happened. I'm wondering if the hotfix from Microsoft would do the trick?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What hotfix, need KB number please? I know there was a possible hotfix before SP1 but it was integrated into SP1. You did upgrade to SP1 didn't you?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Looking at the file dates of that hotfix, I believe this was pre-W7 SP1.

When I compare the affected files with the ones in my system ...

Lmhosts.sam, no version, sz 3,683, dt/tm 10-Jun-2009/21:00
Lmhsvc.dll, ver 6.1.7600.16385, sz 23,552, dt/tm 14-Jul-2009/01:41
Nrpsrv.dll, ver 6.1.7600.20748, sz 15,360, dt/tm 03-Jul-2010/05:55

... the first two match except for a difference in the dt/tm caused by timezones but Nrpsrv.dll now has an SP1 version of 6.1.7601.17514

Search your own Windows\System32 folder for the files and check the date/time stamp and property details for version #

Reaction score
Here is a txt file of the most recent crashes. There's a couple others that the PC didn't save and I don't remember what type of BSODs they were.

Attachments

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you tried installing the latest chipset drivers and the latest driver for your network adapter?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A txt file is not sufficient. Zip up the DMP file C:\Windows\Minidump\102912-35786-01.dmp & attach that zip to your next post.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Uninstall LogMeIn and see if that helps

You might also use Memtest86+ and test your RAM again. You said you tested before and reseated the sticks and the problem went away. The problem is, the heat of the board can make them expand/contract and loose connection again.

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please do a couple of standard things:

1. Run a scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode.
  2. Runs chkdsk /r
  3. As TM said run MemTest.

But if you can please enable Driver Verifier. Because one of the crashes points to the driver for your CPU.

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)

Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:

1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
  5. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  6. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  7. Select "Finish" on the next page.

• Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
  • Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
  • The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
I backed everything up today and am going to run Driver Verifier tomorrow but something weird happened when I ran chkdsk. It told me the volume was in use and would run after a restart, but after doing so I tried to look for the results in Event Viewer and can't find it. I know for sure it ran because I watched the first two steps but I let it run while I was asleep. Should I have been supervising it?

Reaction score
Here's a couple of dumps. The REFERENCE_BY_POINTER happened before I enabled driver verifier while I was running Sony Acid Pro 7.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please update the following:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

nvrd64.sys Tue Jun 23 08:23:00 2009 (4A400444)

NVIDIA nForce RAID Driver

nvstor64.sys Tue Jun 23 08:23:37 2009 (4A400469)
nVidia Storage Driver (nForce chipset driver)

nvsmu.sys Mon Jun 29 17:36:37 2009 (4A486F05)
nVidia nForce System Management Controller (nVidia nForce chipset driver)

**NOTE: Please disable ALL Browser ADD-IN's

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question